How serious is autism in aus

Ton21

I am currently studying an electrical engineers degree with OU but my other half is the one with which i hoping there is more info out there, she has a degree in health and learning disabilities, which is a bachelor of science.

She has spent 20 years in industry, mainly focusing on Autism but has knowledge and experience in other fields. Her work has included hands on work, advocacy, management and family support. Her current role is Family support officer for an autistic trust, this involves helping individuals and families with a range of issues and help with claiming benefits and knowing their rights. The job also includes groups for adults with high functioning Autism/Asperger's and groups for people that support them. i'm just looking to see if there is similar vacancies in and around aus and whether someone knows of a good contact?

Also would her degree be valid, or would she require looking into other fields to study?

Edited by Ton21

Our youngest has autism. Quite high functioning but it's pretty obvious when you start talking to him. There are several agencies and help groups around. He's with an agency called edge which are a not for profit place, run out of Subi. Think they are funded by the government. Your wife would be a bonus to someone like them. Good luck.

Autism is big business in Australia so she shouldn't have too much trouble finding work in the field. She will be competing against registered psychologists through which might be a bit of a disadvantage. However I'm not sure whether her skills could be the vehicle for your visa or are you intending to get the visa on the basis of your skills?

Edited by Quoll

thanks for the responses i have had, we will be looking to see if we could go with her being the visa applicant but it may be me then. At this time we are looking to see if we can network with other organisations just to see what is about really and whether it can be possible to get over there.