457 advice for a Hair Stylist

matt796

Hi

I have been offered a job in Sydney as a Hair Stylist on a 457 visa. It will be my partner, myself and our two children coming out to reside if we proceed.

I am concerned how we will be able to go from 457 to PR in Sydney for a job that's not on the list of skilled occupations? It currently is only on NT and TAS list.

Would the employer still be able to sponsor for PR after a couple of years or is that a no go?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi

I have been offered a job in Sydney as a Hair Stylist on a 457 visa. It will be my partner, myself and our two children coming out to reside if we proceed.

I am concerned how we will be able to go from 457 to PR in Sydney for a job that's not on the list of skilled occupations? It currently is only on NT and TAS list.

Would the employer still be able to sponsor for PR after a couple of years or is that a no go?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

You appear to be mixing up state sponsorship and employer sponsorship. They are two totally different pathways, the employer does not need to be in a state offering sponsorship.

The employer can sponsor for permanent residency any time they like if they and you meet the criteria. There is no need for a "couple of years" to pass - contrary to popular opinion. The only relevance to spending two years on a 457 visa first is that a skills assessment is not required in this case.

You should bear in mind that the employer has no obligation to sponsor a permanent visa at any time and as NT and Tas are the only states sponsoring, you are very unlikely to obtain a permanent visa under your own steam.

You would need to understand all of the issues of being on a 457. The most important being you would not be emigrating and should assume you will return. The others include fees for education, the fact that partners on it can have problems finding work as they are temporary and their fate tied to their partners visa and the visa is tied to the employer. If they were to lose their job for any reason, they only have 60 days to find another willing and able to sponsor or leave the country.

You appear to be mixing up state sponsorship and employer sponsorship. They are two totally different pathways, the employer does not need to be in a state offering sponsorship.

The employer can sponsor for permanent residency any time they like if they and you meet the criteria. There is no need for a "couple of years" to pass - contrary to popular opinion. The only relevance to spending two years on a 457 visa first is that a skills assessment is not required in this case.

You should bear in mind that the employer has no obligation to sponsor a permanent visa at any time and as NT and Tas are the only states sponsoring, you are very unlikely to obtain a permanent visa under your own steam.

Oh ok. Thank you for clarifying this as I was confusing myself!

At worse.....could I apply for NT state nomination whilst in Australia if the employer declined to sponsor me for PR?

Oh ok. Thank you for clarifying this as I was confusing myself!

At worse.....could I apply for NT state nomination whilst in Australia if the employer declined to sponsor me for PR?

I would say your chances of securing NT state sponsorship whilst you are living in Sydney are between remote and zero. Probably closer to zero.

NT had a history of offering sponsorship to people that then live elsewhere, as such they are now far more selective, often wanting evidence of work in the state and indeed some states immediately disqualify people from sponsorship if they already live elsewhere in Australia.

Ok...I really appreciate all of the advice. I'll speak to the employer. They have a Brit there already on a 457 and are supporting her for PR.

I guess it's a chance I'll have to take!

I'm aware of the NSW school fees and how much these will be. My partner has made some contacts with regards to work.

I guess we will have to just enjoy the 4 years!

Ok...I really appreciate all of the advice. I'll speak to the employer. They have a Brit there already on a 457 and are supporting her for PR.

I guess it's a chance I'll have to take!

I'm aware of the NSW school fees and how much these will be. My partner has made some contacts with regards to work.

I guess we will have to just enjoy the 4 years!

Is it a very large salon? Sponsoring another Brit for a PR visa is actually a bit of a concern to me, would they be able to do justify that twice to immigration in quick succession, don't know..

This isn't a chance you have to take. It is something that is worth weighing up very carefully, Sydney is a very expensive city and living there on a 457 visa could be a real challenge.

Edited by Bungo

I was offered a job in Adelaide with RSMS but the salary was low and the economy was poor for my partner to find work.

The salon is very large - 20 work stations - and it is an hour west of Sydney CBD.

Another salon in Terrigal has said if I am there then they would sponsor me RSMS as they are far enough from Sydney. I think my partner and I need to discuss it and speak to the employer more

I was offered a job in Adelaide with RSMS but the salary was low and the economy was poor for my partner to find work.

The salon is very large - 20 work stations - and it is an hour west of Sydney CBD.

Another salon in Terrigal has said if I am there then they would sponsor me RSMS as they are far enough from Sydney. I think my partner and I need to discuss it and speak to the employer more

Where is it? "West of Sydney" can put you in less desirable areas although would keep costs down! I would take a RSMS above a 457 any day of the week and would also find the Central Coast very appealing.

Penrith.

At the moment it's this 457 v NT state nomination - which would be temporary as they rarely give out 190.

Well the 489 is provisional rather than truly temporary. In that you can be sure of getting a permanent visa if you live and work regionally for a certain time. Whereas the 457 has no such certainty of leading to PR in time. I think I would look into that before the 457 as you do appear to want to move permanently. Although as mentioned earlier, you would effectively rule yourself out if you take the Penrith job.