Employer hiring preferences/Ease of visa transfer

michaelbenson

Hi all,

Not entirely sure if this is the best place to post this, so apologies in advance! Essentially I was hoping for some advice on the following:

- In your opinion are employers willing and able to interview and select candidates based overseas throughout the entire recruitment process (i.e., all communications/interviews are conducted electronically with no face-to-face engagement). I am a little dubious that candidates based physically on location wouldn't be preferenced over those who apply overseas.

- I was considering moving to Sydney first before securing a job, this way I would come out on say a Tourist Visa which could then be transferred across to a 457/186 Visa - however I wasn't sure of the implications of applying for a 457/186 Visa in Australia would be, as opposed to processing the application overseas (i.e., are their differences in processing times, in documentation requirements?)

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

I doubt that employers would select candidates who don't yet have a visa to live and work in Australia, unless the job advert mentions something about employer sponsorship being available.

Its quite common for job interviews to be done using Skype, so your location doesn't really matter.

Be careful about "moving to Sydney" on a tourist visa. If you turn up at Sydney Airport with all your luggage, no return ticket, any paperwork in your luggage which may indicate that you are looking for work etc, you may end up getting put on the next flight back to where you came from, and a 3 year ban on any further entry to Australia.

First things first - Are you eligible for a visa? What is your occupation?

Its probably best to consult a registered migration agent. There are several agents who participate in these forums. There is also an "Ask an agent" section in the forums. Perhaps PM one of the agents to get a professional view of your strategy?

Hi all,

Not entirely sure if this is the best place to post this, so apologies in advance! Essentially I was hoping for some advice on the following:

- In your opinion are employers willing and able to interview and select candidates based overseas throughout the entire recruitment process (i.e., all communications/interviews are conducted electronically with no face-to-face engagement). I am a little dubious that candidates based physically on location wouldn't be preferenced over those who apply overseas.

- I was considering moving to Sydney first before securing a job, this way I would come out on say a Tourist Visa which could then be transferred across to a 457/186 Visa - however I wasn't sure of the implications of applying for a 457/186 Visa in Australia would be, as opposed to processing the application overseas (i.e., are their differences in processing times, in documentation requirements?)

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

It isn't unheard of for somebody to secure a job from overseas, but it isn't common either and certainly not having a visa lined up would make it even harder. I think that not having a visa and requiring sponsorship would be a much bigger hurdle than where you are physically located, so wouldn't assume that being on a tourist visa on the ground would be a huge help - getting a visa lined up independently would help a lot more anyway.

You cannot "move to Sydney" on a tourist visa and you need to take care of how you express your intentions. You are allowed to interview whilst on a tourist visa, but the primary indeed only purpose of this vsa is tourism. If you do secure a role with sponsorship you do not "transfer" to a 457 / 186 visa there is no such concept of transferring visas. You would make a completely fresh and independent visa application. Your location will not change processing time or requirements for either of these visas as far as I know.