Applying for Australian Citizenship onshore when "Must Not Arrive After Date" has passed

henryolonga

Hello to everyone,

I have the following question:

A person is granted a PR visa say (190 skilled nominated visa) and the validity is for 5 years.

Since the requirement of citizenship has not being fulfilled (i.e. "The person did not spend 4 years in Australia.") during the period of those 5 years, I believe he/she can stay in Australia legally for indefinite period provided he/she does not leave the country and is on shore when the "Must not arrive after date" has just passed.

Does the person qualifies for the Australian citizenship after fulfilling the requirement of 4 years requirement after not leaving Australia in spite of "Must not arrive Date" has passed already? OR Does an RRV visa will be required in order to lodge the citizenship application ?

I hope you understand my question.

Regards,

Henry

The Must Not Arrive After date has nothing to do with citizenship, only with being able to re-enter Australia if you leave. So as long as you meet the residency requirement and other related criteria, you can apply for citizenship.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Regards,

Henry