I have a question related to Remaining Relative Visa.

Aldward Glass

My sister is sponsoring my parents to live in Australia. Is she able to sponsor me? because I am her brother and financially depend on my parents. Will my parents be able to sponsor me when they are granted permanent residency? They plan to have me applying for Tafe study in Australia and finish university until I figure out how to help me migrate to the country. I'm 24 almost 25 btw.

The last remaining relative visa has a processing time of 56 years. (No that's not a typo FIFTY SIX years).

You our would be better gaining qualifications in the UK and getting experience to apply for a skilled visa. Studying in Australia on its own will not usually allow you to get a permanent visa as a skilled visa needs a mix of qualification and experience.

The age for dependent family members is to be reuduxced for 25 to 23 this month.

Here is an extract from the relevant instrument:

(2) A person is a member of the family unit of another person (the family head) if the person:

(a) is a spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(b) is a child or step‑child of the family head or of a spouse or de facto partner of the family head (other than a child or step‑child who is engaged to be married or has a spouse or de facto partner) and:

(i) has not turned 18; or

(ii) has turned 18, but has not turned 23, and is dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(iii) has turned 23 and is under paragraph 1.05A(1)(b) dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

© is a dependent child of a person who meets the conditions in paragraph (b).

This subregulation has effect subject to the later subregulations of this regulation.

If you are intend to apply, I suggest you take professional advice as soon as possible.

Hi, Tulip. I graduated from a university, and worked for 6 months and now i'm currently studying again. My parents do not want me to work because they insist that I should get further education before working. What's worse is that I'm currently doing another bachelor and not master degree.

The last remaining relative visa has a processing time of 56 years. (No that's not a typo FIFTY SIX years).

You our would be better gaining qualifications in the UK and getting experience to apply for a skilled visa. Studying in Australia on its own will not usually allow you to get a permanent visa as a skilled visa needs a mix of qualification and experience.

Thank you, VERYSTORMY. I wish I were working but my parents insist that I should study, which is a little bit disappointing for my age. As a matter of fact, they want me to apply for a study in Australia and find a job there, but as you know for international students, the chance of getting employed is very very low.

The age for dependent family members is to be reuduxced for 25 to 23 this month.

Here is an extract from the relevant instrument:

(2) A person is a member of the family unit of another person (the family head) if the person:

(a) is a spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(b) is a child or step‑child of the family head or of a spouse or de facto partner of the family head (other than a child or step‑child who is engaged to be married or has a spouse or de facto partner) and:

(i) has not turned 18; or

(ii) has turned 18, but has not turned 23, and is dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

(iii) has turned 23 and is under paragraph 1.05A(1)(b) dependent on the family head or on the spouse or de facto partner of the family head; or

© is a dependent child of a person who meets the conditions in paragraph (b).

This subregulation has effect subject to the later subregulations of this regulation.

If you are intend to apply, I suggest you take professional advice as soon as possible.

Thank you, Wrussell, for this information. I will discuss this with my family. However, Im still wondering, if my parents recieve citizenship in Australia, will they be able to sponsor me? They are still on the waiting list though.

Thank you, VERYSTORMY. I wish I were working but my parents insist that I should study, which is a little bit disappointing for my age. As a matter of fact, they want me to apply for a study in Australia and find a job there, but as you know for international students, the chance of getting employed is very very low.

You are 24 nearly 25, you get to decide how much studying you want to do.

Thank you, Wrussell, for this information. I will discuss this with my family. However, Im still wondering, if my parents recieve citizenship in Australia, will they be able to sponsor me? They are still on the waiting list though.

At the moment parents can only sponsor their children for a visa (or include them on an application) up to the age of 25 if that child is still financially dependent through say being in full time education. So at the moment you could be included on the parent application. WRussell has pointed out that this is about to change to age 23 thus you need to act quick. I would suggest you do this, perhaps by consulting WRussell in a professional capacity.

Your parents becoming citizens later is completely irrelevant. If you do not get a visa on your parents application very soon, well you will be on your own and will have to find a visa path through your chosen career.

Archived