help

Guest marzy

Guest marzy

hi we are an early 30's couple with a 1 year old baby. interested in moving to the mellbourne area,can anyone give us any advice on nice reasonably priced suburbs in and around mellbourne.:wacko:

Guest surburberella
hi we are an early 30's couple with a 1 year old baby. interested in moving to the mellbourne area,can anyone give us any advice on nice reasonably priced suburbs in and around mellbourne.:wacko:

I'll give you a list of some suburbs which IMO are best avoided:

Frankston North

Carrum Downs

Dandenong (not to be confused with "The Dandenongs" which are lovely)

Pakenham

Cranbourne

Footscray

It really does depend on your budget but the best 'burbs (again just my opinion) are Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Brighton, Elwood, Elsternwick, Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Eltham, Warrandyte or if you can go as far as the Dandenongs & like a more village/rural life, Olinda is lovely. If you dont mind being a couple of hours commute from the city then Mornington Peninsula-Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza. If you're a bit "trendy" and like that cool-grungy vibe then Yarraville

S:smile:

Hi Suburberella we are thinking of trying Melbourne because it would appear there are more job vacancies for my Husband there and we don't really fancy the idea of anywhere too hot!

There have been an awful lot of negative things said about Melbourne on this site so I was starting to think perhaps we should look elsewhere.

Have you lived there long and how do you find it?:spinny:

Guest surburberella
Hi Suburberella we are thinking of trying Melbourne because it would appear there are more job vacancies for my Husband there and we don't really fancy the idea of anywhere too hot!

There have been an awful lot of negative things said about Melbourne on this site so I was starting to think perhaps we should look elsewhere.

Hello:smile:

I am probably the wrong person to ask as I have been here 5 months and am finding it not to my taste at all. BUT, thats not to say you wont love it here as lots of people including one of my best friends in the world LOVE it bigtime.

I would say the main thing is to choose your suburb very carefully. You must ensure you match up what is important to you as people on an every day environmental & living basis with where you settle. Spend a decent amount of time exploring all the areas and dont panic & rush into renting or buying anything. A large number of the outer suburbs although they are cheaper are best avoided as they are very characterless and lacking in soul or vibrancy.

My reasons for not loving it here are because for me as a Londoner it's just not busy, lively & historical/old enough. I just dont feel "it". These are just my personal priorities though. We all get on with & fall in love different places as we do partners.

S

Hi Matt and Cath

If you are put off by the negative posts that the few people have posted about Melbourne, I dont think i would be going to Australia as each and every state gets slated on this site. Thats the joy of reading all coments.good or bad.

I have read that some people can not find property under $1,000,000 in Melbourne? to me that means that the wages are very high or there are alot of very wealthy people???

There are lots of nice low cost housing in and around Melbourne, but you need to live in the west or further out, not everone needs to work in the city.

Australia is not the land of the free. it never has been you need to work hard to make it, but the rewards you get a far better than what you can get in the Uk. The problem you have at the minute is the UK has alot of problems and as such the £ is down house prices are down and Australia is holding strong.

So lets face it its a loose, loose loose situation! you loose on your house as its gone down, you loose on the transfer of money as its gone down, then you loose on buying a house because they are still high!!!!

Why move???? you move for the life style, for the sun, for your family and whatever else but some people forget this (the most important things more important than money).

My advise is Go to Australia broke, if you are a strong family unit it will make you stronger. Go over and see what Australia has to offer. I bet you it wont disappoint.

Anyway thats for a different thread.

life is what you make it, I think the problem with Victoria it doesn't have the wow factor its a state that grows on you. once it gets under your skin you will never want to leave

All the best and take care

Geoffrey

Thanks Geoffrey, you should be a politician or at the very least be employed by Melbournes tourist board. We are going skint, we are skint here so thats not a problem. We are working our buts off with two full time jobs and nothing to show for it.

We agree that life is what you make it. And we are open to new ideas and adventures.

That said obviously we are tied, in that we have to go where my husbands work is and I dont want to move the kids from school to school if I can help it.

We live in a village near Bristol at the moment and I have to say we moved out of Bristol because we didnt like inner city life much so one of the suburbs to my way of thinking would probably suit us best. I would love to come for a reccie, but that would severly lower our options when we do finally arrive (Crossed fingers it all works out!)

We will be selling our house here to use the equity for the move and we will rent over there for the forseeable future so, hopefully the house prices may drop in Oz by the time we are ready to buy. Even if we have to rent forevermore I dont care! We are tied to a huge mortgage here and it aint no fun, so I don't beleive that buying is everything.

You have really cheered me up. Now if I can just get my OH to sit down and fill in the blessed TRA form we may be able to start!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Brickie

Youve prolly done all the internet searches for "Melbourne" I should imagine?

Ive lived here for over 20 years and cant fault it, sure its different, but why move if its the same as your used to?

Median house prices at the mo, A$400,000, you can of course buy a cheaper house.

What do you do job wise will depend on where you live I suppose.

Melbourne's weather is easy to get used to, not too hot, not too cold, some of the other places Ive visited in OZ I wouldnt want to live there due to the weather, again, it all comes down to occupation.

Archived