Possibly moving interstate

natasha2106

Hi all, we are a family of 4 currently working and living in SA, we have been here for 4 years. However, the job market here is so slow it is almost at a standstill. Hubby was made redundant as a metal machinist and it took him almost 6 months to find another job. He finally got another job but the salary has dropped by $20,000. This is just the way it is, because so many companies are closing the remaining ones can offer ridiculously low wages and know people will take them as they have no choice - which is exactly what happened to us.

We are now struggling here financially and have started driving for Uber to try and make up some lost wages, however, this is poor too.

We thought about jumping ship and moving to perhaps Brisbane/Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast areas but can see that there are not many jobs for metal machinists either, showing on seek.com.

So my questions are:

Are there any metal machinists here who can give any advice on job markets in these areas for hubby, wages etc.

What is the Uber driving like in these areas, what are the earnings like, here in Adelaide I drive 40 mins into the city everyday and turn it on and I'm lucky if I pick up one or two a week in the morning before work. I work on a Friday night until around midnight and only can pull in around $100 - $140. Uber is still very new and very slow here in SA.

If anyone can offer any advice on this please. We need to work to live and currently living to work as we have no choice, not good when we are a young family :(

thanks

Hi Natasha. Sorry I can't help with your particular predicament but am wondering whether you might get more responses if you post in the Queensland section. Not every one sees every post and some members check their local state forum first. Good luck with whatever you do....yours is not a nice situation to be in.

I can only advise that there is more opportunity here in SE Queensland.

My son did some uber driving, did quite well at first and then too many people were doing it so he gave it up, that was about 1 year ago so do not know how that is here, but then there is going to be other possible income streams in this corner of Qld too.

Good luck

Hi all, we are a family of 4 currently working and living in SA, we have been here for 4 years. However, the job market here is so slow it is almost at a standstill. Hubby was made redundant as a metal machinist and it took him almost 6 months to find another job. He finally got another job but the salary has dropped by $20,000. This is just the way it is, because so many companies are closing the remaining ones can offer ridiculously low wages and know people will take them as they have no choice - which is exactly what happened to us.

We are now struggling here financially and have started driving for Uber to try and make up some lost wages, however, this is poor too.

We thought about jumping ship and moving to perhaps Brisbane/Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast areas but can see that there are not many jobs for metal machinists either, showing on seek.com.

So my questions are:

Are there any metal machinists here who can give any advice on job markets in these areas for hubby, wages etc.

What is the Uber driving like in these areas, what are the earnings like, here in Adelaide I drive 40 mins into the city everyday and turn it on and I'm lucky if I pick up one or two a week in the morning before work. I work on a Friday night until around midnight and only can pull in around $100 - $140. Uber is still very new and very slow here in SA.

If anyone can offer any advice on this please. We need to work to live and currently living to work as we have no choice, not good when we are a young family :(

thanks

When you have a young family and a mortgage and probably a couple of cars, mobiles, internet I think most people at that time of life feel like they are living to work.

You get through it eventually. Not cheap having kids.

Hi Natasha,

I cannot comment on your hubbies line of work, I am in a different industry but also seeing a downturn and lots being either offshored or outsourced. But from I have picked up on different forums the manufacturing industry in Australia has taken a hit(Australia has/is becoming to expensive to hire people and too costly to make anything), just as the mining boom has died and the jobs in WA have faded away. Lots of people in the same boat, some even returning to the UK as could not find work.

Have you checked out Melbourne or Sydney to see what the job market is like. These two cities appear to be have the strongest job market in Australia at present, also have you considered Canberra(not sure if manufacturing jobs would be good here since more a government place)?

Has your partner considered a different line of work and retraining, bit extreme I know?

Archived