Working on a Student Visa

seangolding1987

Hey guys, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the fees to do TAFE for a couple of years (hopefully followed by a grad visa and sponsorship thereafter), as the course will actually be of huge benefit to me. I know I'm restricted to working 40 hours/fortnight on a student visa, with unlimited hours during holidays.

The main question is when could I start work assuming I'm accepted and granted a student visa. My course won't commence until January 30th 2017, but I will be in Australia from Nov 9th to meet with the college and do recognition of prior learning (RPL).

Would I have to wait until the 30th of January to start work? Or could the period before commencement be considered holiday?

So, your plan is to spend a huge sum of cash as an international student in the hope that a company will spend thousands of dollars on hiring a new grad from another country over an Australian grad? I would think hard about this.

All for a temporary work permit - which is what a sponsorship usually is

Edited by VERYSTORMY

I have been agonising over the decision for some time. I am currently doing a distance study, doing a degree in Computer Science, however the degree is all theory and doesn't give me the practical skills that I need in the industry. TAFE would certainly fill in the gaps, buy me 3 and a half years over there, and give me more of an opportunity to lay some roots and find a sponsor....may even be lucky enough to settle down with a nice Aussie girl in that time! I believe sponsorship can lead to PR?

I will have the advantage of having a degree as well as the practical skills, hopefully giving me an edge over some of the Australian grads. Also have my best friend there who works very high up in recruitment and can potentially open doors for me. I know the risks...$26,000 over 2 years. But otherwise I will be waiting another 3 years until I'm eligible to even apply for a permanent visa. My biggest concern is that programmer/developer remains on the SOL until after I graduate.

I have been agonising over the decision for some time. I am currently doing a distance study, doing a degree in Computer Science, however the degree is all theory and doesn't give me the practical skills that I need in the industry. TAFE would certainly fill in the gaps, buy me 3 and a half years over there, and give me more of an opportunity to lay some roots and find a sponsor....may even be lucky enough to settle down with a nice Aussie girl in that time! I believe sponsorship can lead to PR?

I will have the advantage of having a degree as well as the practical skills, hopefully giving me an edge over some of the Australian grads. Also have my best friend there who works very high up in recruitment and can potentially open doors for me. I know the risks...$26,000 over 2 years. But otherwise I will be waiting another 3 years until I'm eligible to even apply for a permanent visa. My biggest concern is that programmer/developer remains on the SOL until after I graduate.

But, you will be competing with grads who have done a full time degree at a Oz university including hands on experience

You will be doing a TAFFE course - this is no where near as recognized as a uni degree

Getting a sponsorship is NOT easy and most find it impossible. Immigration would also be pretty interested to know why a company wanted to sponsor a grad.

Sponsorship does not lead to pr. You have to apply for it and be eligible. a 457 sponsored visa is what it says on the tin - a temporary visa. There is no automatic path to pr.

Personally, I think you would be better getting the qualification in the UK, getting some post qual experience and then applying for pr

But, you will be competing with grads who have done a full time degree at a Oz university including hands on experience

You will be doing a TAFFE course - this is no where near as recognized as a uni degree

Getting a sponsorship is NOT easy and most find it impossible. Immigration would also be pretty interested to know why a company wanted to sponsor a grad.

Sponsorship does not lead to pr. You have to apply for it and be eligible. a 457 sponsored visa is what it says on the tin - a temporary visa. There is no automatic path to pr.

Personally, I think you would be better getting the qualification in the UK, getting some post qual experience and then applying for pr

Thanks and I am taking your points on board. As long as I land a role in IT, the 4 year sponsorship will give me everything I need to apply for PR, as I will have my UK degree, and up to 5.5 years of postgrad experience, alongside some Australian TAFE qualifications for good measure.

I'm not using TAFE as my way in, I know the diploma isn't enough itself for PR, but if I remember rightly it can land me with some extra points for the PR visa. I am thinking to use it to get my feet on the ground, pickup the practical skills that I need (my degree is mostly theory) and use the time there to network. I appreciate it can be tough to find a sponsor, but I think it will be a lot easier to find one if I'm there in oppose to finding one from the UK. Besides like I said I have a powerful friend in recruitment who knows the right people.

My other thought is to just go on a one year TAFE course and then go to NZ on a WHV to get my postgrad experience. At least then I would have had a further year to be sure that migrating to Oz is absolutely the right decision for me, and also do my due diligence to see what NZ has to offer.

Thank you for your feedback.

My other thought is to just go on a one year TAFE course and then go to NZ on a WHV to get my postgrad experience. At least then I would have had a further year to be sure that migrating to Oz is absolutely the right decision for me, and also do my due diligence to see what NZ has to offer.

Thank you for your feedback.

I think your second idea (the one year followed by a WHV in NZ) sounds like a much better option.