6 weeks back

bencrom81

hello all, just thought id pass my experience over from my recent move back to england. I moved back from Sydney to Manchester 6 weeks ago after approx. 7 yrs in NSW. I got my passport prior to departing, and am so happy I made the choice. it feels like home, something a beach or a 35 degree day or a good coffee can replace.

Have already done a trip to Ireland (galway/Dublin), trip to the Lakes, Harrogate, seen grandparents, parents, cousins, old mates. its a comforting feeling being back.

There's nothing ill miss, in fact the thought of returning to Oz makes me recoil. The fact I can return has taken the 'what if' out of proceedings, and the fact I gave it a good run and got it all out of my system means I have absolutely no regrets or pining for Australia. all the facebook posts from Bondi beach in the sunshine are lovely from mates there. do I miss it? no, ive swam there umpteen times and theres better beaches in Europe which I aim to get stuck into next summer.

Manchester is fantastic, has changed so much in the last 7 years. its a really modern looking city, great restaurants, cafes, old pubs, beautiful old buildings. been to old Trafford (not so great I admit) with the lads, had some amazing indian food (was craving this massively!) and just had plenty of family time.

im in construction and got a job at the first interview and there is plenty of work in the North west.

for the remainder of the year, im looking forward to the colder months - a cold Christmas and off skiing to france in December.

despite this being a pro UK post, its reassurance to people who have that nagging 20% doubt moving back. just do it, its worth it. Will

hello all, just thought id pass my experience over from my recent move back to england. I moved back from Sydney to Manchester 6 weeks ago after approx. 7 yrs in NSW. I got my passport prior to departing, and am so happy I made the choice. it feels like home, something a beach or a 35 degree day or a good coffee can replace.

Have already done a trip to Ireland (galway/Dublin), trip to the Lakes, Harrogate, seen grandparents, parents, cousins, old mates. its a comforting feeling being back.

There's nothing ill miss, in fact the thought of returning to Oz makes me recoil. The fact I can return has taken the 'what if' out of proceedings, and the fact I gave it a good run and got it all out of my system means I have absolutely no regrets or pining for Australia. all the facebook posts from Bondi beach in the sunshine are lovely from mates there. do I miss it? no, ive swam there umpteen times and theres better beaches in Europe which I aim to get stuck into next summer.

Manchester is fantastic, has changed so much in the last 7 years. its a really modern looking city, great restaurants, cafes, old pubs, beautiful old buildings. been to old Trafford (not so great I admit) with the lads, had some amazing indian food (was craving this massively!) and just had plenty of family time.

im in construction and got a job at the first interview and there is plenty of work in the North west.

for the remainder of the year, im looking forward to the colder months - a cold Christmas and off skiing to france in December.

despite this being a pro UK post, its reassurance to people who have that nagging 20% doubt moving back. just do it, its worth it. Will

I'm typing this from my sunny office in Adelaide :). I'm on my way back to the UK in January. I've all but given up getting a job in advance (though I won't stop trying). Your post is very reassuring and a lovely way to finish my week. All the things you describe are what I miss, so it's nice to hear someone else mentioning them. I'm also looking at Manchester work wise but it'll probably have to wait until I get back to Blighty now.

Good to hear your thoughts - would be interested in future updates too :)

I'm typing this from my sunny office in Adelaide :). I'm on my way back to the UK in January. I've all but given up getting a job in advance (though I won't stop trying). Your post is very reassuring and a lovely way to finish my week. All the things you describe are what I miss, so it's nice to hear someone else mentioning them. I'm also looking at Manchester work wise but it'll probably have to wait until I get back to Blighty now.

Good to hear your thoughts - would be interested in future updates too :)

indeed, its only since ive arrived back home that I realised how disillusioned and unhappy I was in Australia. I cracked on with things as the citizenship was a target to aim for and kept me going.

Australia seems to have a wonderful image/façade, for instance Bondi itself, but look a bit closer and its sunshine glossing over cheap shops, shabby buildings, narcissistic people and lack of substance. And late 20's ex-pats getting drunk & sunburned all weekend & living in a shoebox, spouting to anyone that will listen about the 'amazing lifestyle'.

Admittedly its not for everyone and I needed the time away from home to appreciate the U.K. again. The adventure had ended for me a couple years before I got my passport and was seeing the bad things about the place (clearly) and not the good.

it became pretty obvious saying farewell to my teary eyed parents in the airport earlier this year that it just wasn't worth doing that to them again and my mind was pretty much made up.

good luck with the move and enjoy your last aussie summer!

• Like 1

indeed, its only since ive arrived back home that I realised how disillusioned and unhappy I was in Australia. I cracked on with things as the citizenship was a target to aim for and kept me going.

Australia seems to have a wonderful image/façade, for instance Bondi itself, but look a bit closer and its sunshine glossing over cheap shops, shabby buildings, narcissistic people and lack of substance. And late 20's ex-pats getting drunk & sunburned all weekend & living in a shoebox, spouting to anyone that will listen about the 'amazing lifestyle'.

Admittedly its not for everyone and I needed the time away from home to appreciate the U.K. again. The adventure had ended for me a couple years before I got my passport and was seeing the bad things about the place (clearly) and not the good.

it became pretty obvious saying farewell to my teary eyed parents in the airport earlier this year that it just wasn't worth doing that to them again and my mind was pretty much made up.

good luck with the move and enjoy your last aussie summer!

I could have written this, but about the Gold Coast, not Bondi.

Same people here, banging on about the 'better life'...all the while being as lonely as they ever have been in their 'life'!

Self preservation I think.