Rental property in the UK/ Securing a job in UK whilst still in Australia

Martinbjulieb

So, the parents have been told (see my previous post!) and they are very happy, just as I knew they would be! They were always very supportive of us coming here and I was just worried that they would worry about us going back and in effect starting again!

Our house is up for sale so step 1 is underway.

Anyway my real question is about rental property and then best way to go about things. We have kept our UK bank accounts so we have no problems there but we are not sure how to go about getting a rental property. If we decide to go before my husband has a job will we be able to get a rental based on the fact that we will have evidence of capital in the bank? Or will a long term holiday rental be the answer?

How easy is it to get a job whilst still here? I am thinking interviews etc and is it best to let the house sale go through before you start to seriously apply for jobs. What have other people done?

Any advice welcomed, thanks!

You will easily get a rental even if you don't have a job lined up, they will just ask for six months' rent upfront.

Whether your husband can get a job from Australia depends very much on his line of work. Most employers are pragmatists. If they need to fill a vacancy and they've got a choice between a fantastic overseas applicant and a reasonably good local applicant, they'll pick the local guy. They've met him in person so they feel more confident about him, plus he can start tomorrow. So if your husband's skills aren't in short supply, he'll have a tough time finding a job before you go. If there's a real shortage of candidates in his field, he'll stand a much better chance.

Where he'll shoot himself in the foot, though, is if he applies for jobs saying "I'm planning to return to the UK". That will make employers nervous because it's too vague - if they make a job offer, when will he be able to start? What if his house sale falls through and he's delayed? Will he be distracted and bad at his job for the first month or two, getting his family settled in and all the paperwork done? So I'd be waiting until you have a definite date so he can say "I will be arriving in ... on ....

Thanks Marisa. He is in the construction industry so will be looking at Senior Project/Contracts manager roles. He did 20 yrs plus in the UK in this field and obviously the 9 out here. We had thought of contacting a smaller recruitment agency in our area of choice to get his name/Resume out there but obviously we would have to tell them that the house has just gone on the market and just to keep him in mind for future roles. He would be prepared to fly over if he could get a few interviews lined up but not just for one!

We thought that might be the case with rentals, paying up front. Do you know if we will still have a credit rating if we have kept our bank account open?

Thanks!

You will easily get a rental even if you don't have a job lined up, they will just ask for six months' rent upfront.

Whether your husband can get a job from Australia depends very much on his line of work. Most employers are pragmatists. If they need to fill a vacancy and they've got a choice between a fantastic overseas applicant and a reasonably good local applicant, they'll pick the local guy. They've met him in person so they feel more confident about him, plus he can start tomorrow. So if your husband's skills aren't in short supply, he'll have a tough time finding a job before you go. If there's a real shortage of candidates in his field, he'll stand a much better chance.

Where he'll shoot himself in the foot, though, is if he applies for jobs saying "I'm planning to return to the UK". That will make employers nervous because it's too vague - if they make a job offer, when will he be able to start? What if his house sale falls through and he's delayed? Will he be distracted and bad at his job for the first month or two, getting his family settled in and all the paperwork done? So I'd be waiting until you have a definite date so he can say "I will be arriving in ... on ....

We did this, it was simple.