Taking Older children

Guest Admar72

Guest Admar72

We're hopefully moving out next summer/autumn if all going well. We've chosen Narangba Valley as our friends have been there since Feb this year.

My minor concern is that we have a 16 year old daughter who'll be closer to 18 when we arrive and a 19 year old son who'll be almost 21. I'm wondering how easy it'll be for them to make new friends and settle into our new life.

I'm sure leaving all their friends behind is going to be pretty tough going but could be worrying over nothing.

If anyone out there has been in a similar situation as us, i'd love to hear how it all went.

My son is planning to do a 2 year course in bricklaying when we get there and my daughter is starting a public services course over here in sept so not to sure what she'll do when we get to Oz.

• 1 month later...
Guest beardy brood

I know how you feel we are the same we have a daughter at 17 almost 18 when we arrive there in april next year she has agreed to come with us and give it a go but is really reluctant about going she is worried about leaving family and friends. She is starting an hairdressing apprenticeship in september so if she carrys on with this when we arrive in oz hopefully she will make new friends at college.

we are also going to narangba hopefully to forest ridge estate very nice place went there in april to stay with friends (norfolk lakes) who went in august last year and came back with plenty more friends everyone is so nice.

Kerry, Adrian, Laura 17, Aiden 14, Caitlin 8

Are your older kids still in full time education, ie University?

We have an 18yo (nearly 19), but because he is still in full time education and Dependant on us then he qualifies for our 175 visa.

The other route is 'last remaining relative', but this is a tougher, you need to establish that there are no parents, sibling or half siblings remaining in the UK.

Guest beardy brood

Yes our 17 yr old is still in full time education (college) she was included on our 175 visa.

I thought 'last remaining relative' was if you had a greater amount of family members in oz then in your own country of residence. We looked into this for my dad, my brother is emigrating to but my sister will still be living in the uk so because he has a greater amount of children in oz he could apply for this visa, he will still have siblings in the uk but this did'nt matter.

Guest earlswood

They will have no problem making friends at that age believe me.....it is when you get into your 30s and 40s that people start to be very choosey who their friends are....and Aussie girls and boys love an English accent…try and talk like Russell Brand and they will be all over you mate.

Yes our 17 yr old is still in full time education (college) she was included on our 175 visa.

I thought 'last remaining relative' was if you had a greater amount of family members in oz then in your own country of residence. We looked into this for my dad, my brother is emigrating to but my sister will still be living in the uk so because he has a greater amount of children in oz he could apply for this visa, he will still have siblings in the uk but this did'nt matter.

Maybe the criteria differs for children, we were advised not to take the Last remaining relative option, becasue despite never having met his father and that there are two half siblings known about it would be too much trouble, so we packed him off to university.

Guest beardy brood

Will you be going on a 175 skilled independent. Only my brother is going on employer sponsored his son is 18 soon to be 19 and they can't put him on there visa application he has to apply for his own.

Reading the OP again 'intending to do a course' in bricklaying doesn't qualify as in full time education and dependent, they have to actually be in full time education AND not have been in employment since leaving school.

we discussed this matter with 4 immigration experts before taking action and they all told us the same thing.

Guest beardy brood

My nethew has a couple of option 1st is to go on a 12 month travel visa and try and get a company out there to sponsor him on an apprenticeship or the other was to go on a study visa in one of the trades on the modl list

We're hopefully moving out next summer/autumn if all going well. We've chosen Narangba Valley as our friends have been there since Feb this year.

My minor concern is that we have a 16 year old daughter who'll be closer to 18 when we arrive and a 19 year old son who'll be almost 21. I'm wondering how easy it'll be for them to make new friends and settle into our new life.

I'm sure leaving all their friends behind is going to be pretty tough going but could be worrying over nothing.

If anyone out there has been in a similar situation as us, i'd love to hear how it all went.

My son is planning to do a 2 year course in bricklaying when we get there and my daughter is starting a public services course over here in sept so not to sure what she'll do when we get to Oz.

Hi,

We are in a similair situation, we are hoping to be going within the next 18months, my eldest son will be 16 this December, so he will be coming up 18, but I have told him of the benefits of Australia, the better prospects etc etc etc

But until we are on that plane, as Mums we will keep worrying that they will say those dreaded words 'I wanna stay here' :shocked: Although my son knows I wouldnt go without him, so I dont think he would do that to me!

We have a younger son of 5 years old also, its just as hard to take him away from his little buddys, but we want to give them a better life, always keep it in mind.

Kindest Regards,

Kelly & Family. :smile:

Guest longland

We left our 21 y.o behind in the uk as he is still going through his law education. He was over for 10 weeks and went back last weekend, first thing he said when he got back to the uk was he wanted to apply for his visa to oz as he loves it so much and thinks the lifestyle is far greater over here. At the moment we're not sure which visa route to go down as he has his biological father in the uk.

We left our 21 y.o behind in the uk as he is still going through his law education. He was over for 10 weeks and went back last weekend, first thing he said when he got back to the uk was he wanted to apply for his visa to oz as he loves it so much and thinks the lifestyle is far greater over here. At the moment we're not sure which visa route to go down as he has his biological father in the uk.

Thats very encouraging to hear & I bet your really pleased that your son will be joining you. :smile:

Kelly. :smile:

Archived