New Temporary Visa for Sponsered Parents

Debstu

I saw a media release today by Alex Hawke MP minister for Immigration and Border Protection which was talking about a new 5 year temporary sponsored parent visa which is due to be implemented July 2017. As we have just submitted our 143 visa application and have been told it could be 24 months before consideration could this be our way in, cheaper in the short term and quicker processing time?

Debbie the finer details of the new "5 year temporary sponsored parent vsisa" have not been worked out and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection has issued a Discussion Paper and called for public comments on it. If you have lodged a 143 you should already be able to get a 5 year validity Tourist Visa which has a maximum stay of 12 months in any 18. So, it would alllow you to enter Australia and stay with your children for up to 12 months without leaving. You would need to leave the country for grant of the visa anyway. No work is possible on this tourist visa. And, should your 12 months expire before the visa is processed (as I don't know how long ago you lodged it) you'd need to leave the country and wait for processing.

Hi Leanne Thanks for the quick reply Our visa has only been lodged this week and when we arrive we both want to work as my partner is only just 50. Not sure if this new visa , once the details have been worked out will include people who want to work or are of working age or just aged / retired parents. Was kind of hoping once it comes into force that it would be a quicker route to getting over as I think the current wait for outside Australia applications is around 24 - 27 months...ouch.

Debbie the finer details of the new "5 year temporary sponsored parent vsisa" have not been worked out and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection has issued a Discussion Paper and called for public comments on it. If you have lodged a 143 you should already be able to get a 5 year validity Tourist Visa which has a maximum stay of 12 months in any 18. So, it would alllow you to enter Australia and stay with your children for up to 12 months without leaving. You would need to leave the country for grant of the visa anyway. No work is possible on this tourist visa. And, should your 12 months expire before the visa is processed (as I don't know how long ago you lodged it) you'd need to leave the country and wait for processing.

will this new visa allow parents to work during their 5 year stay?

https://www.border.gov.au/about/reports-publications/discussion-papers-submissions/temporary-visa-for-parents/faq

From the FAQs page on the DIBP website:

[h=3]Will holders of this visa be able to work, or study?

[/h]Given the likely age of many applicants, it is unlikely that work rights will be provided.

Study might be possible, subject to them meeting requirements with education providers.

Any work or study limits will be based on information obtained during the public consultation period.

Best regards.

That's a shame if the case as not all parents of migrants are aged/retired. Surely it's a better option if we can work and contribute to the economy. Just got to wait and see I suppose. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Maybe make a submission to the consultation that is ongoing until the end of October?

Have some input, and hopefully make a difference!

Best regards.