cuttin our losses!

Guest sharleen29

Hi we have just been working from more or less day one. Everything is so expensive from food, property,just everything. We are in a rented house and will be for a while. We came here for a better lifestyle but as we are working all hours just to get by it defeats the object. We have not social life whatsoever because of work.

Perhaps we might get to like it I am trying! I work as a nurse and feel the hospitals are at least 20 years behind the UK hospitals. The Health system is so much better in the UK. I am beginning to hate just about everything about Australia. I know not the right attituide I am trying to hide if from the kids. We have decided to 'ride out the storm' and go back in a year or two.

I just wish I had my time again and decided on not coming to Oz. I know people will disagree with me.

I really hope it will be different for everyone else.

My opinion anyway!

where did you end up locating to?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with vul885. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I know if I was in your shoes I would be gutted, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't be. It could be a lucky escape! Good luck with whatever you decide! There are some nice parts of Europe to move to....!!

Guest Aussiegirl

You have made me worry Vul885. I am also a nurse and trained in Oz. Were you and your partner both working to find living expensive? What do your children think? Could your family survive on one wage? Doesn't the way of life outweigh the money side?

I worked in Perth full-time as a nurse and my husband worked full-ime also, we still had more time as a family ( we have 4 boys). Our quality of life was much better and that is why we are returning to Perth this year. I found the health service to be absolutely fine in Oz in fact very similar to the UK. I work in intensive care and the standards were very good as they are in Edingburgh where I work. I met a lot more people loving life in Perth than those not enjoying it!

Arlene

Guest earlswood
I worked in Perth full-time as a nurse and my husband worked full-ime also, we still had more time as a family ( we have 4 boys). Our quality of life was much better and that is why we are returning to Perth this year. I found the health service to be absolutely fine in Oz in fact very similar to the UK. I work in intensive care and the standards were very good as they are in Edingburgh where I work. I met a lot more people loving life in Perth than those not enjoying it!

Arlene

Why did you leave Perth in the first place?

We originally said we would go to Perth for one year partly because I am so close to my family that it was easier to do it this way! My mother in law died when we were in Perth and my husband went home just before she died and then had to return to Perth and missed her funeral, my sister was diagnosed with renal failure when we were there and my dad was also very ill during that year. Basically partly due to pressure from family we returned to Scotland even though when we were in Perth airport on the way back I thought Oh no what are we doing! Since then my dad has died and my sister in now doing fine. My mum has now agreed to living with us for a few months of the year so we are returning. We have tried very hard to settle back here and I like Scotland but we really felt like we were enjoying life a lot more in Oz. I understand that it is not for everyone but it is definitely a better life for us.

Arlene

Guest Hammer

Hi, I think jobs and work is a major issue in this. I'm an electrician and moving to Queensland and as it stands my job prospect are much better than here. Don't get me wrong i'm under no illusions that it's like a little money pot there. The building trade here has always been a roll-a-coaster ride. and depending whether we're on the ups or downs of that guides our view of how good a life we have. I know it's not everything but it has had perhaps the biggest effect on our lives. It tends to have a massive feelgood factor. No doubt Oz will be the same. I think Oz, like Europe has such a different daily life and society accross its vast area that what suits one may not suit another.

We Love Oz overall, Loved both Perth, Sydney and Brisbane but only Brisbane clicked with us as a place to live, but till we're there awhile we may don't 100% know as we would'nt here. we may not get to live exactly where we want to cos of work.

We're only going with a 21 year old and it's alot different when you have a young family to be responsible for, but to pick somewhere to live as far away and a vast and diverse as Oz and be spot on with Job, Lifestyle, Area, House, etc. first hit is pretty lucky.

I think anyone that has got the bottle to give it a go deserves respect.

Oz may not be for everyone, but boy Blighty as it is certainly is'nt for us.

Keith

Guest earlswood
We originally said we would go to Perth for one year partly because I am so close to my family that it was easier to do it this way! My mother in law died when we were in Perth and my husband went home just before she died and then had to return to Perth and missed her funeral, my sister was diagnosed with renal failure when we were there and my dad was also very ill during that year. Basically partly due to pressure from family we returned to Scotland even though when we were in Perth airport on the way back I thought Oh no what are we doing! Since then my dad has died and my sister in now doing fine. My mum has now agreed to living with us for a few months of the year so we are returning. We have tried very hard to settle back here and I like Scotland but we really felt like we were enjoying life a lot more in Oz. I understand that it is not for everyone but it is definitely a better life for us.

Arlene

Fair play to you for going back.. hope you have better luck in the future after all the upset you have gone through.

Guest itskaren
You have made me worry Vul885. I am also a nurse and trained in Oz. Were you and your partner both working to find living expensive? What do your children think? Could your family survive on one wage? Doesn't the way of life outweigh the money side?

I don't mean to alarm you that is not my intention. I am just so disappointed here. We could not survive on one wage that's for sure. To answer your question 'the way of life' What way of life? We have no 'life'. I am not being blunt for the sake of it. I am telling the truth as I see it. We ha all these wonderful plans before we came here. None of it has happend. I work for a nursing agency. I started in Jan this year and was told my holidays are to be 2 weeks at christmas. So I need to work all year to get 2 weeks (unpaid) at christmas!!!

I work 4 to 5 nights a week sometimes driving an hour or more to the hospitals. I just cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. My husband it in the middle of getting the visa in his name so I can work off his visa instead of vice versa. I resent every day in this hell of a place. I know people will disagree with me which is fine. I am just telling you my experience of living and working in Melbourne.

the only great thing is the school. my kinds love it. it's a private school fees $18 pa for both of them. Small price to pay as I have never seen them happier at a school.

Good luck to you. Kind regards

Guest itskaren

Arlene

I agreen with you about the standards in intensive care. I work in ALL specialities, CCU, A&E, surgical and Medical. Minor injury and minor illness. Critical Care has got about the same standards as the UK but nothing else has in my opinion especially the private hospitals. It's like going back 20 years in the UK. I have worked in about 10 hospitals around melbourne on a regularly basis this is my opinion. Glad Perth is different. Kind regards

Guest coventryBillynowMelbourne

Hi there, been here 6 years and could tell you alot of positive and some negatives, is not all fun in the sun , you dont get to hear about the real Australia, i for one tell it how it is

cheers Bill

Guest taffy 62
I don't mean to alarm you that is not my intention. I am just so disappointed here. We could not survive on one wage that's for sure. To answer your question 'the way of life' What way of life? We have no 'life'. I am not being blunt for the sake of it. I am telling the truth as I see it. We ha all these wonderful plans before we came here. None of it has happend. I work for a nursing agency. I started in Jan this year and was told my holidays are to be 2 weeks at christmas. So I need to work all year to get 2 weeks (unpaid) at christmas!!!

I work 4 to 5 nights a week sometimes driving an hour or more to the hospitals. I just cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. My husband it in the middle of getting the visa in his name so I can work off his visa instead of vice versa. I resent every day in this hell of a place. I know people will disagree with me which is fine. I am just telling you my experience of living and working in Melbourne.

the only great thing is the school. my kinds love it. it's a private school fees $18 pa for both of them. Small price to pay as I have never seen them happier at a school.

Good luck to you. Kind regards

I would highly recomend moving to Wodonga, they are crying out for nurses, also Abury which is the nsw side of the river.

You will only be 5 mins drive from work, the schools are great, the rents and buying of houses are so much cheaper, and your only 3 hours from melb and 6 from syd.

The people are friendly and its more of a community than in the city, but not to small to be clicky.

You will be close to lots of lovely holiday destinations including the snow fields and wineries, if you are involved in sport theres heaps to do and its cheaper than the city.

It would be worth a try before making the decision to go back to the uk.

We are in the same position, bad timing, and stuff. We live in USA right now and things are bad too, but we decided to keep the door open, so the kids and I are going alone leaving hubby to deal with things in USA. Not sure I am making the right choices, but don't want to lose the visa forever for Oz. I know its going to be a struggle in Oz alone, and I am giving up a life style in USA, which we will never have again, but if I don't try it I will never know.

Things have a way of slotting into place, one way or another.

Are you sure you can't make it work? Can you rent your home? Loan some money? I just think sometimes in life you have to follow your dreams, maybe you should sit with your hubby, talk and see what you both really want. Dont let money let you give up Oz, you can always make more money, its not everything in life, happiness counts, and money doesn't make you happy, it does help, but with it you can be miserable too! Go for it, don't lose it, if I can do it alone with too kids, then anyone can....Sharron from Essex

Guest itskaren
I would highly recomend moving to Wodonga, they are crying out for nurses, also Abury which is the nsw side of the river.

You will only be 5 mins drive from work, the schools are great, the rents and buying of houses are so much cheaper, and your only 3 hours from melb and 6 from syd.

The people are friendly and its more of a community than in the city, but not to small to be clicky.

You will be close to lots of lovely holiday destinations including the snow fields and wineries, if you are involved in sport theres heaps to do and its cheaper than the city.

It would be worth a try before making the decision to go back to the uk.

Thanks for that. I will look into it actually. The only problem now is my husband's job is based in Melbourne. Kind regards karen

Archived