Selling jewellery/getting it valued before moving? Anywhere I can do it near Sydney?

delicatepotatoe

I have some expensive inherited jewellery that I'd like to sell to get some funds that would help me with my move back to the UK. Is there somewhere I can sell them/get appraised without getting ripped off near Sydney?

I once visited a jewellery shop in the UK who offered 130 pounds below what it was worth (i checked online and on eBay for going rates) and when I asked him to value the most expensive item (no idea what it is as hallmark is gone) he told me he could only tell me if I agreed to pay him 20% of what he said it was worth :no:.

My family told me a rough estimate that it's worth around 2000 pounds but would like a professional who can give me an accurate figure for it and then after that, where on earth do I sell it without getting scammed? I'm a bit worried about using eBay for such an expensive item, or would it be best for me to hang onto it and then try sell it in the UK at a local auction or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Archived