Moving Back... options

CowlingAFC

After making the move down here in november 2013 , and not settling as well as I thought I would, I am now at the decision that I want to move back to Scotland.

I am eligible to apply for my citizenship in january 2018. - which coud mean another 6 months from then until I would hold my Australia Passport.

In my mind I know the right thing to do is to get my passport, as having family here in oz It would allow me to explore other options later in life if circumstances change in the UK.

I was wondering how the RRV visa works exactly. I know you get 5 years to return once your original PR runs out. (I still have 2 years left on original 5 year PR. - Can you only get one x 5 year RRV? or possible to extend again?

thanks

You will not be able to keep the door open with RRVs. You would get the first one for five years but if you don't live in Australia then you might not get another one or if you do, it would be for one year only and then you might not get another one after that. It would be very uncertain.

If you want to keep the door open for the long term, then you require citizebship.

If you want to ensure that you can return definitely then get citizenship. We got our citizenship just after our daughter was born (born here) while we have never planned to stay here. It just means we can come back, should we ever wish to. Staying her until January isn't really that long, we're planning to move back in two years.

Why could you not apply in November 2017? That would bring it forward a couple of months! They don't keep issuing RRV willy nilly - if you haven't moved back with the first one they give you then chances are if you ask for another at the end of that one lapsing it will be either 6-12 months and, even then, they'd probably expect a good reason like sick relatives, child finishing school etc. And who knows when regulations will change - getting citizenship is definitely a belt and braces approach. Basically you have a year (and a couple of months) and time will fly even if you're not really having fun.

Because I arrived in November 2013 on a tourist visa....my PR was granted while I was here in Oz in January 2014.

Can apply in January 2018 but as we all know it could be another 2-6months for test and ceremony to happen

Also disagree (sorry!) with the time will fly even if not having fun. It has, and is dragging for the last 2 years

Because I arrived in November 2013 on a tourist visa....my PR was granted while I was here in Oz in January 2014.

Can apply in January 2018 but as we all know it could be another 2-6months for test and ceremony to happen

Also disagree (sorry!) with the time will fly even if not having fun. It has, and is dragging for the last 2 years

Time on a tourist visa counts. So long as you held a visa and were in Australia legally throughout then it is four years from November 2013.

So you would be looking at say April /May 2018 before you are likely to attend a ceremony and secure citizenship. If you don't think it is worth it then go, but don't expect to keep the door open. You would have to be happy in that decision and in all honesty, sometimes I think not having the option could be a blessing in that it takes away a dilemma.

If you have Australian born children though, that is when I think it is a good idea to obtain your citizenship, in case they decide to move back to Australia one day and you want to be with them.

Sorry, read that wrong. I've agree with my husband to remain here for two years, we actually cannot afford to return just yet as he was out of work for a while.

If life is just dragging by and your in a position to return then perhaps that is what you should be doing. Though, once granted citizenship you can still leave without having an Australian passport, but you might have to remain until you have completed your citizenship ceremony, which is what can take time depending how often ceremonies are help where you are living.

What would be the benefit for you, for having the citizenship? Also, if it is worth waiting for that consider what you can do to improve your happiness in the meantime, because you need to have something.

The toursit visa counts? Really? I have searched for info on this and havent found anything to suggest. Can anyone else confirm this please?

Benefit for me staying is having my sister, BIL and 3 gorgeous nieces here. I know deep down the passport gives me that freedom for later in life and , of course woukld be handy to have. If said quote about the tourist visa is correct then that certainly help - albeit only by a couple of months.

Thanks everyone

Archived