Confused!!

MKG

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone may have the answer to this as I am just getting more and more confused searching the internet.

My child was born here in Australia and myself and my husband are both British and born in UK. We have decided to move back to the UK and have currently just received our daughter's Australian passport.

Will our daughter be able to live in the UK or will we need a British passport before we arrive there? Im just a bit worried and would appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Many Thanks

I am Australian born and UK parents - I have just done mine online - wasn't that hard - you will need yourself and husband's birth certificates, your daughters birth certificate and your marriage certificate - this gets attached (after you have lodged your application) - the process is quite self explanatory. You can also use a company called 1st Contact - they charge few hundred dollars but if it saves you heartache if you're not comfortable doing it.

it took only 4 weeks as I had the supporting documentation (birth & marriage certificates) - because it was a clear case everything went straight through.

one thing - you will need to print off the online application and get it witnessed by a third party who has known you - they must hold a Commonwealth passport and order of preference is British passport first. I had witness who held a current British passport - so don't think if you have a Australian passport witness it will slow things down, but just easier.

Good luck

Sorry forgot to mention you will need to colour photocopy each page of your daughter's Australian passport - including the front and back covers (every page). I could do mine at work so hopefully you have somewhere you can do this.

This is the link to start application - but look around the website first to see what is needed - I have a good PDF table from the HM Passport Office website - so if you go to that you can download and it's a guide / summary in one table.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports (this is for adults)

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/apply-for-your-childs-first-passport (this is for children).

it was a good turnaround for me and for someone else in my office who also did it.

Thank you for youe reply.

I was just thinking is there no way we can go back to the UK and then get her British passport within a given time limit?

Wouldn't do that unless absolutely necessary! If she does enter on a foreign passport if will be stamped with a 6 month visitor visa. Far easier to just get her passport immediately and be done with it to avoid all hassles.

Thank you for youe reply.

I was just thinking is there no way we can go back to the UK and then get her British passport within a given time limit?

When we moved back to England 4 years ago our kids entered on Australian passports and was quick and easy. They actually only just got their UK passports a few months ago because of a school trip. There was no time limit. They will get a 6 month visa but it's because they have to put something in the passport.

Really!! Thats brilliant u have stopped me stressing so much. Ive been panicking about it as i thought once her Aus passport came we could just get the flights booked and look forward to getting home. Then when i realised baby might not be allowed in to live on an Aus one my heart sank. I know i can get her a british one in a few weeks but we just wanted to get the ball rolling and get home.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies you have all been so helpful.

Really!! Thats brilliant u have stopped me stressing so much. Ive been panicking about it as i thought once her Aus passport came we could just get the flights booked and look forward to getting home. Then when i realised baby might not be allowed in to live on an Aus one my heart sank. I know i can get her a british one in a few weeks but we just wanted to get the ball rolling and get home.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies you have all been so helpful.

There will be no question of your child not being allowed in believe me. It took us a couple of minutes to explain the situation as through we went.

As others have said get her British Passport, it's just easier for when you enter the UK. When I went back to the UK for a month there had ben serious delays in getting British Passports issued, she only had her Australian passport which was stamped with No access to public funds. So I just think when moving back it wold make more sense to have a British Passport for accessing medical care, schools, and any benefit entitlements you may be eligible for (though there is a three month habitual residency period for most, but you might be Child benefit or tax credits).

As others have said get her British Passport, it's just easier for when you enter the UK. When I went back to the UK for a month there had ben serious delays in getting British Passports issued, she only had her Australian passport which was stamped with No access to public funds. So I just think when moving back it wold make more sense to have a British Passport for accessing medical care, schools, and any benefit entitlements you may be eligible for (though there is a three month habitual residency period for most, but you might be Child benefit or tax credits).

Our kids had full access, they moved into a new school and one of them broke their arm and no questions were asked. My point really is you don't need to get a UK passport.