Qualified Scottish Solicitor - Skills Assessment and Visa Questions

lem

Sorry I know this is a little old but looking for my sister. So you need to complete the additional modules and register with a state before you can apply for a visa? The registration doubles up as Law registration in the state and points for migration? If this is the case I'd say it's better than the teaching process where you double up on registration/assessments.

My sister has one eye on moving out here when she qualifies as a solicitor. It may even be taken off the SOL list!

Sorry I know this is a little old but looking for my sister. So you need to complete the additional modules and register with a state before you can apply for a visa? The registration doubles up as Law registration in the state and points for migration? If this is the case I'd say it's better than the teaching process where you double up on registration/assessments.

My sister has one eye on moving out here when she qualifies as a solicitor. It may even be taken off the SOL list!

She needs to decide if she wants to work as a solicitor, or migrate to Australia. If the former, she probably stands a better chance in the UK as she may be able to stay at her training firm. If she moves here she is competing against thousands of newly qualified solicitors. It would surprise me of it doesn't come off the SOL shortly - although something has to be on there, so it might as well be more lawyers, accountants and teachers we don't need.....!

I'm sorry if my post sounds negative, but it does seem to be true that we have a lot of people coming as solicitors who are put through hoops and undertake study and expense and a lot of bureaucracy only to have to work like blazes to get any decent work when they arrive. So if she is passionate about her career and has options in the UK it will be a hard choice to make. But if it is her only chance to get here and that's a greater passion then she get her skates on as it is a long process.

She needs to decide if she wants to work as a solicitor, or migrate to Australia. If the former, she probably stands a better chance in the UK as she may be able to stay at her training firm. If she moves here she is competing against thousands of newly qualified solicitors. It would surprise me of it doesn't come off the SOL shortly - although something has to be on there, so it might as well be more lawyers, accountants and teachers we don't need.....!

You are absolutely right she will need to make that choice although she would love to move back to Sydney where she worked for a year. Having said that without a visa for Oz she will never have the opportunity to try and gain work in law or anything else and that's why I asked would she need to complete units/modules for migration purposes in the first place.

You are absolutely right she will need to make that choice although she would love to move back to Sydney where she worked for a year. Having said that without a visa for Oz she will never have the opportunity to try and gain work in law or anything else and that's why I asked would she need to complete units/modules for migration purposes in the first place.

I knew there was a better thread on this topic. It is a shocker of a process....and she needs to be admitted in the UK, not just finished a degree, so she may have a way to go. Obviously her work prospects are much better in Sydney

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211160

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Just thought i would provide an update - I am applying to have my qualifications assessed by New South Wales Legal Admissions Board.  I am still working as a trainee solicitor at the moment, due to qualify in three months.  I am not sure if it would be more beneficial to apply for the assessment of my qualifications after I qualify as opposed to now as I might have to study more modules.  I have emailed the NSW Legal Admissions Board to query this.  

I am then hoping to undertake the additional modules at the University of New England distance learning.  My plan is to take two modules for the first semester and see how this goes.  

I will keep this thread updated along the way.

Thanks,

Lem

Hi all

This is a really helpful and informative thread.

I'm an English qualified solicitor (only 9 months qualified) also hoping to move to Aus.  I work in planning / development and had a property developer in Brisbane willing to sponsor me and was hoping to get in on a 457 on a "legal role nec" position as this wouldn't require a positive skills assessment as a solicitor but the announcement of the Turnball government this week has unfortunately thrown that all into question.

As such, I'm now looking into getting admitted in Aus.  Luckily i've already studied Constitutional Law as I did a year at the University of Queensland on exchange so at least that's one less subject!  Is anyone able to shed any light on the below:

1. I'm struggling to find much info on the University of New England website about the cost of distance learning - has anyone spoken to them to find out how much each unit costs when doing distance learning?

2. Why are people applying for the law societies for the specific state they intend to move to?  My understanding from Taylor Root Australia (legal recruiters) is that some states are stricter than others in terms of what additional subjects they want you to take.  Why doesn't everyone just apply to all the different state law societies and just go with whichever is easiest? I understand once you're admitted in one state you can apply to other states for admission there on the basis of mutual recognition.

Cheers

Edited by MrTea

Hi @MrTea

I have spoken with the University of New England and was advised that the module costs for 2017 are $2,725.  There isn't any difference in cost if you undertake distance learning, as far as I am aware.  However, you may want to check out the website in respect to when you can study each module as some are only available in one trimester of the year.  From the research that I have done, it does not look as though the University of New England offers modules in the Practical Legal Training course so you would need to study elsewhere for these.  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am only applying to NSW Legal Admissions Board as it is more lenient in comparison to other states.  You are also charged a fee to have your degree qualifications assessed and a separate fee again to have your PLT qualifications assessed.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really want to waste money applying to every state.  

Why are people applying for the law societies for the specific state they intend to move to?  My understanding from Taylor Root Australia (legal recruiters) is that some states are stricter than others in terms of what additional subjects they want you to take.  Why doesn't everyone just apply to all the different state law societies and just go with whichever is easiest? 

That is going to be quite an incredible amount of work and money to apply to every state's legal board! It's probably better to get an idea of how much work is involved in an application before deciding to undertake this!

Regards,

Richard