question about apply citizenship

t4420242

hi everyone

i had been australian 2year (held student visa,and finished yet),then i have gone back to japan 2weeks ago.

now a aus employer agree to sponsor me and give me 187visa,so i will be a pr after around 8month.

can i apply citizenship after 2years?

or i need to stay 4 more year because i have gone back to japan?(i have't held any aus visa when i was in japan)

i will be grateful if anyone can give me some help ,thank!!

Edited by t4420242

Hi

Hope this helps.

The general residence requirement is based on the amount of time you have lived in Australia.

You must meet all of the following:

• have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
  • must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

YMCA

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 1685514

61467 402877

As long as you're not outside of Australia for more than 12 months in total you can count your 4 year residency period from the date you first entered Australia (in your case apparently 2 years ago on your Student visa). Note that if you legally entered Australia before you got your student visa - even on a tourist visa and no matter how many years ago - you can start your 4 year residency 4 years before you apply regardless of the fact that you were not in Australia at the beginning of your 4 year residency. The total period outside of Australia - including the time before you arrived - must not exceed 12 months. In this way it's possible to be eligible for citizenship in as little as 3 years plus any period out of the county since you got your student visa.

You have to have a permanent visa for the last year of the 4 years but it doesn't matter what type of visa you had for the rest of the time, except you must have had a valid visa for any period that you were in Australia (there's no requirement to have had a visa if you were outside Australia - the "clock will reset" only if you were in Australia illegally).