Discounted Removals.

Guest BRAMBLE

Guest BRAMBLE

Hi, does anyone watch that TV show in the morning with the little bauld chap who goes around shops haggling the prices down???? Well I have been watching him and thought I would try his technique. Just as hubby and i were discussing shipping the phone rang and it was Colin at John mason's. (Spooky eh... we think our phone is bugged).

Anyway I did everything that chap recommends on TV and ended up with a £275 discount!!

I asked him what's the best price you can do for me ?( after he had already quoted £3600)

What am I up against he asked. " I want a 15% discount" He nearly fell off his chair laughing ... he said that the best he could do was £3375. The conversation remained Jolly and I told him I was going to speak to PSS in the morning and thanks for the offer. iThe next day in the afternoon he rang me back and said that someone had twisted his arm to knock another £50 off. So originally he quoted £3600 and now for a 20 ft General purpose container I am paying £3325. Good old Colin....he's a good man!

My hubby was well impressed. (A new frock for me I think!):smile:

LESSON.....IT PAYS TO BE CHEEKY!:yes:

Guest thepriceclan

Hi,

What other quotes have you had? We came last October and I'm not sure if prices have gone up or not but we only paid £3250 for sole use of a 20ft container with White & Company. It is really hard to decide who to go with, we just went with a feeling as we couldn't decide. Remember to bring all your woolies when you come to Perth as in the winter here in the houses it is well cold! I got rid of most of my stuff and now I am having to buy cardigans and jumpers again.

Sarah.

Guest tony and sheena

I got three companies out, then went between the three and haggled. I ended up with the company I wanted but for the price of the cheapest company. I also got them to guarantee the quote (which was for shipping in Oct 08) would remain valid until the end of 2009, in case the house doesn't sell. Shipping prices are bound to rocket in the next year, so at least I know what I'll be forking out for that, regardless.

I've decided I'm going to be totally shameless and haggle with everyone from now on!

Sheena

Ok apologies for sound dim but, how much can you fit in a 20ft container. I meen is it cost effective to ship, or to sell and buy new/ We live a modest life and nearly all furniture is rather olld. Three bedroom semi with the usual nothing outstanding. Also (sorry to be a pain) could you put a large motorcycle in the container?

Guest tony and sheena

Hi

We're a 3 bed semi, 20ft container is taking almost everything, not the wardrobes because any Oz houses I've looked at have built-ins.

With four kids, we have a lot of stuff, although a good clear out needed. Things have already started to disappear from the toyroom!

We've been quoted £3900 for everything. Even if we didn't take furniture etc, we have loads of photos and baby keepsakes and boxes of stuff they made and painted at nursery and school. So we'd still have loads to ship, say about £1000, I'm guessing, what are you going to buy for £2900, not a lot.

I'm taking everything and I can always sell what I don't need when I get there!

Sheena

Guest Chrissymac

hiya all who did everyone use??? We have been quoted more than twice that amount from Chichester to Sydney by an Australian company.

They use Team Relocations over here and they say we need 2/3rds of a 40ft container. This will obviously be more expensive than a 20ft, but surly not more than double some of your quotes.

My hubby is already over there working and i am left here to sort it all out along with an 18 yr old to sort for Uni here.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy

Guest its getting better

Hi everyone

is it worth taking all your stuff such as (cooker,fridge,washing machine.....etc) or is it cheaper to buy new when you get there?

thanks x

Guest thepriceclan

I wouldn't take your cooker as rentals have them and I would think that new houses that you buy would too. We never bought our fridge/freezer but wish we had now as it would have been handy in the garage. As for the washing machine, if it is fairly new, I would bring it, you will just have to wait for it to arrive which could be a while in your rental. They do have launderettes at some shopping centres.

Something for you to think about is take your pictures out of the frames. Some of our things (plastic toys) seemed to have melted on their way here, the container could be on the very top and it gets hot on the way over. I have just noticed one of my photos of my daughter when she was little has sort of stuck to the glass on the inside, never noticed before but if I pull it, it is going to rip. I wish I had took all of my pictures out and actually bought them over in my suitcase just to be on the safe side.

Sarah.

Guest its getting better
I wouldn't take your cooker as rentals have them and I would think that new houses that you buy would too. We never bought our fridge/freezer but wish we had now as it would have been handy in the garage. As for the washing machine, if it is fairly new, I would bring it, you will just have to wait for it to arrive which could be a while in your rental. They do have launderettes at some shopping centres.

Something for you to think about is take your pictures out of the frames. Some of our things (plastic toys) seemed to have melted on their way here, the container could be on the very top and it gets hot on the way over. I have just noticed one of my photos of my daughter when she was little has sort of stuck to the glass on the inside, never noticed before but if I pull it, it is going to rip. I wish I had took all of my pictures out and actually bought them over in my suitcase just to be on the safe side.

Sarah.

Thanks sarah

so bringing your fridge is defo worth it?.....

Ok apologies for sound dim but, how much can you fit in a 20ft container. I meen is it cost effective to ship, or to sell and buy new/ We live a modest life and nearly all furniture is rather olld. Three bedroom semi with the usual nothing outstanding. Also (sorry to be a pain) could you put a large motorcycle in the container?

You can put a motor bike in then you have the taxes and import levies it will cost more than the bikes worth

Malx

Archived