Anyone on here work in Construction?

Suzannecopps

My husband works as a scaffold supervisor and is coming over on my 457. Is it easy for home to get employment? We know he needs to take courses on landing to get him to his advanced level and he has over 20 years UK and Middle East experience.

I have been been chatting to a few Australian scaffold managers on linked in and some have mentioned he may get a bit a bit of hassle if he is on the same pay rates as the locals! Is this right? Will he have a hard time in construction over there?

Any my advice greatly appreciated!

Worried wifey!

If you're on a 457, it will be hard for him to get a permanent job because employers know you don't have a secure visa (I'm sure you know that if you lose your job, you'll have to leave the country unless you get another job. Employers know that for many people it's impossible to find another job within the deadline).

I can't see why he'd get a hassle being on the same pay rates as the locals, but if you're talking to people in that industry then I'd be inclined to believe them.

Edited by Marisawright

In all likelihood he'd be on award wages so his salary would be set as a minimum by legislation (look up scaffolding award in whatever state you're looking at, here it comes under something like the General Building and Construction Award).

As it would be illegal to pay somebody differently because of their visa, I cannot for a moment think why he would get hassle for being on the same rate as a local!

Hi Bungo, it seems you are right and I maybe spoke to a choice few! Had a great convo with an English scaffold manager running the commen wealth site! 457 NO PROBLEM! great pay rates and 80% of workforce managing this project are Irish scaffies! His cv sent over and all looking promising already. Gotta keep positive!

Marisa wright. I am not worried about my role or 457, you do know it's changed to 90 days to find an employer! My job market is always recruiting, so I am not overly worried of the 457 issue.

Hi Bungo, it seems you are right and I maybe spoke to a choice few! Had a great convo with an English scaffold manager running the commen wealth site! 457 NO PROBLEM! great pay rates and 80% of workforce managing this project are Irish scaffies! His cv sent over and all looking promising already. Gotta keep positive!

Marisa wright. I am not worried about my role or 457, you do know it's changed to 90 days to find an employer! My job market is always recruiting, so I am not overly worried of the 457 issue.

Yes I do know it's 90 days to find another employer. I seem to recall you saying your skills are in big demand, that's not the case for many others. Three months is not long for some people, because it's not enough to find someone else willing to employ you - they have to be willing to jump through all the hoops of sponsorship, which many aren't, and they also have to be eligible to sponsor. Not an issue for you but it is for many.