Visa Advice PLEASE!

roseknowles

I have been thinking about moving to Australia for over a year now and have finally decided to work out how to make the big move. I would love to move to Perth as I have friends there and have visited twice already and love the location. I also have a cousin who lives in Adelaide who I would like to see more.

I have looked into the skills points and am worried that I will need to wait another 3 years before I can apply for a permanent skilled visa. I was hoping that someone may know of a way to quicken that so I don't need to wait 3 years.

I am 23 years old and have just qualified as a Primary Teacher (PGCE route) and am starting my first year of teacher in September 2016.

Does anyone one have any suggestions of things I could look into so I don't need to wait 3 years?

Thank you!! X

Hello fellow school worker! I work in a few academies myself in the North West area. Anyway....

How many years did you spend at university? For a teacher I think you will need to have a minimum of 4 years study.

On the experience thing I am not sure for a teacher as I am support staff, but I think there really isn't any options. But I was in the same situation as you, I wanted to move over and needed more experience. I just kept my head down and got a few more years experience. I am now 25 and have the experience I need. I also used those years to save up like mad as the whole process is really expensive!

No, not really. We have hundreds of bright, locally trained, new graduates here who are looking for jobs. We really don't need inexperienced graduates from overseas.

Get some experience first and then see if primary teacher is on any list. Just be aware that there is a massive oversupply of primary teachers in Australia. I was not aware that they are even recruiting in WA right now- you mention Perth.

One idea would be that you get a WHV, then register with the teaching board in WA and then do relief work here and there.

Why do you think you need to wait three years? Sometimes that is necessary, but I did not think it was the case for teachers. As a first step, I would suggest you look into the specific requirements for a primary school teacher skills assessment. Also look into the points test, but this should not be a major issue for a 23 year old graduate.

I do agree with the post above though, that you might not be doing yourself any favours career wise by moving over as an inexperienced teacher.

Archived