Power Station Enquiry

Jon

Hello

I am currently a Control and instrumentation technician on a gas turbine power station her in the UK.

I'm just enquiring as to what the Power Station job market is looking like over there in Aus and also what kind of skills assessment must I take in order to have skills recognised as instrument technician or Panel Operator ?

Kind Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, You'll get a better answer if you post your qualifications and post qualification experience.

I am an instrumentation technician with experience as a panel operator

My qualifications are

HND Electrical and electronic engineering (Advanced Engineering Diploma in Australia)

NVQ Level three in instrumentation

Complex certified (explosive atmosphere intrinsically safe wiring installations)

I work on a gas turbine power station managing contractors, planning work flows, managing my own budgets and assisting my Engineer sourcing new equipment etc.

Thanks

Are you thinking in regards applying for a permanent visa or to obtain work as part of your whv?

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking more in permanent Visa terms further down the line as you may already know with my other posts I am on a WHV from January if I could carry on this line of work on that visa that would be good (but only for 6 months).

I would say the chances of getting this sort of work on a whv is between nil and less than nil.

For longer term, you need to see if the occupation is on one of the two lists and if you can pass the skills assessment for it. If it's not on the lists then there isn't any chance regardless of jobs available.

I would say the chances of getting this sort of work on a whv is between nil and less than nil.

For longer term, you need to see if the occupation is on one of the two lists and if you can pass the skills assessment for it. If it's not on the lists then there isn't any chance regardless of jobs available.

Thanks for that :). I wasn't expecting much for the WHV I'm looking forward to a break from the same old routine and doing a bit of travelling and a variety of work that comes with that so that's okay.

I have looked at different state sponsored lists and it does come up on a few primarily on the second tier but it is there.

What other lists can I look at ?

Im pretty much in the same boat. Im a mechanical fitter in a nuclear station.

Ive been trawling the usual job search places (seek.com.au, hays, other search results from google) but didnt find

an awful lot.

Searched through Wikipedia, to see who owns and operates the stations, but didnt find much on their individual websites.

Seems like breaking into that industry could be pretty difficult but im no giving up hope!

Im using the Down Under Centre for my skills assessment. Might be worth giving them a shout to see if they have any advice for you.

Good Luck!

Im pretty much in the same boat. Im a mechanical fitter in a nuclear station.

Ive been trawling the usual job search places (seek.com.au, hays, other search results from google) but didnt find

an awful lot.

Searched through Wikipedia, to see who owns and operates the stations, but didnt find much on their individual websites.

Seems like breaking into that industry could be pretty difficult but im no giving up hope!

Im using the Down Under Centre for my skills assessment. Might be worth giving them a shout to see if they have any advice for you.

Good Luck!

Yes I have done similar looking at Gas Turbine Power stations on Wikipedia looking what company own them and then looking for jobs related to the company.

I am not too set on the Power industry it's just something I'm obviously familiar with and would be of best suit but any job related to my skills will be appreciated to be honest.

I'm just struggling to find skills assessment for a Electrical, Control and instrumentation technician. I do electrical work on site and reading the assessment description I would be comfortable passing the practical assessment etc but I do not have an electrical NVQ only an instrumentation one. Although I have and electrical complex licence so I'll have to do some Enquiries as I doubt I'm the first E,C&I technician searching for a job in Australia

Thanks for your help and best of luck

Thanks for that :). I wasn't expecting much for the WHV I'm looking forward to a break from the same old routine and doing a bit of travelling and a variety of work that comes with that so that's okay.

I have looked at different state sponsored lists and it does come up on a few primarily on the second tier but it is there.

What other lists can I look at ?

there are two list at border.gov.au known as CSOL and SOL and for any visa your occupation needs to be on one. If you look at the lists next to the occupation and occupation number it states the assessing authority. You need to use this to find out the skills assessment requirements for your occupation.

It it may be worth having a initial consultation with a good agent to review. Most good ones will do an initial for free

there are two list at border.gov.au known as CSOL and SOL and for any visa your occupation needs to be on one. If you look at the lists next to the occupation and occupation number it states the assessing authority. You need to use this to find out the skills assessment requirements for your occupation.

It it may be worth having a initial consultation with a good agent to review. Most good ones will do an initial for free

Thank you I have just looked at the SOL list and there are three / four job titles I could come under so that's good new I suppose ?

Just done a quick assessment I scored

65 for 189 independent

75 for 190 state

75 for 489 state

So they're the different visas I'm eligible for

Edited by Jon