Help with shipping query please

Judan

We paid for a sole use 20ft container in the UK - supposedly including all costs associated with our belongings being shipped to Brisbane.

we have been contacted by the Australian company who are receiving the goods and they say we need to pay $610 to progress the shipment through quarantine. Note that this is before any additional costs associated with cleaning/fumigating if the inspection turns up anything.

also note, our ship is still en route (last seen in Singapore) and the company say they don't have our customs form (so they cannot have assessed what is in our container).

is this legit?? Do we have to pay a random $610??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Most quotes do not include customs fees, although $600 is on the high side you should have expected to pay a fee and the removals company should have told you. Check your paperwork.

Also you should have completed a customs declaration form. Speak to your shippers.

Be aware also that delivery to door is also usually quoted for metro areas and no more than two floor and easy access. Anything different and again you will pay extra. We had to stump up extra as we have a long driveway and they could not get the container close to the house. Fair enough it took extra time and effort to carry and wheel stuff in.

As ever re ad the small print!

I think the costs for clearing are on the AQUIS site - or similar site I have trawled so many I forget which is which

I think we paid 340 disembarking fee then 370 and that was a 40ft container All furniture etc was fine for clearance but the car cost $ 870 to be steam cleaned and it failed again after that !!!! It was eventually cleaned again at no cost to us and then got through AQUIs

My 20ft container has just landed and been cleared by customs, I have to pay $480 to the shippers this side. I was expecting something, but can't find out if this is the exact charge from customs or with anything added on! Have tried looking for fees on various sites but no joy yet. May ask the shippers to show me the customs invoice.......