I am applying for visa 189, but what are the requirements of my wife and daughter ?

Dan Mika

Dear All,

I am applying for a skilled visa 189 and I am slowly making my way through the necessary processes. I have found that I have misunderstood some aspects of the process, so I would like to clarify this point. My wife and daughter are both coming to Australia with me and as such, what are the requirements for them (my daughter is 2 years old, natural daughter with my married wife, nothing complicated) with regards to tests and checks ?

For instance:

Do they both need medicals and does my wife need a police check ?

Furthermore does my wife need to do the English test if she wishes to do some sort of work in Australia in general, or would this merely be advised rather than compulsory ? (I realise if my wife's profession needs the English test then she should do it, but if there are no set requirements from her profession, would the proof of English competency be advised ? Is this widely recognised in Australia ?)

Thanks in advance, enjoy your Sunday

D

If they are british passport holders then your wife will need a police check and medical, your daughter just a medical. For visa purposes this is all. Some occupations such as nurses may need English tests for registration, but not many. She would have a visa in her own right and full work rights.

Hi, of course your wife needs a police check and she and your child need both medicals as well.

It's the 'one fails everyone fails' policy which is applicable to every (permanent) visa. For example, if your daughter would be chronically ill and she would fail the medical your visa would be refused even if you and your wife would pass 100%.

I was the second applicant and had to do the IELTS/English test when we migrated as otherwise we would have to pay 3000 AUD or so for not doing so as some sort of 'penalty' payment. I don't know if that's still the case as nowadays and maybe somebody else can shine a light onto that.

They are both Swiss, but I am planning on getting a British passport for my daughter as she is eligible. I think the answer will be the same as you mention, just medicals and police check for my wife. English test might be an investment in terms of applying for jobs.

silencio, thanks for the input. Did you have to get a certain grade on the test? I guess this would be English to the adequate/basic excepted level (rather than proficient/superior).

Sorry, I can't remember exactly but I think it used to be 4.5-5.5 (what simran 7757 mentioned)