where to stay on arrival at Brisbane..

mummyoftwo

Hi all, we have a provisional booking for an apartment with a pool in Kangaroo Point. We booked this thinking it would be ideal and good location for CBD and close to Southbank, parks etc (my husband will be looking for work in and around the cbd area). We have two children (7 & 4) and wondering would staying further out work out better for us, seeing as it will be for a month/6 weeks or so, and rather than an apartment, rent a house where we can have some outdoor space, maybe Bribie Island so we can have some beach days. Or maybe a house in the western suburbs where we plan to find our first long term rental before buying... Just a thought I've had over the past couple of days, so would be good to hear what others experience of where they stayed and any advice/tips to pass on? Many thanks

Bribie would be a horrible commute for hubby. No public transport, huge congestion. I would stay in KP for initial period. For a seven year old, you have to start thinking about schools too. There has been some recent traffic on this subject. Not sure why anyone would want western suburbs....If you live on the northern side, you can be in Caloundra for weekends in not much over an hour. Closest surf beaches to Brisbane, very good for kids.

Inner northern suburbs much better for commute to CBD either by car, bus or rail. The further out you go, the cheaper the properties, North Lakes and upmarket parts of Murrumba Downs excepted. Also easier to access nice beaches anywhere from woody Point to Scarborough. Not surf beaches but safer for kids with play parks along foreshores

Inner northern suburbs much better for commute to CBD either by car, bus or rail. The further out you go, the cheaper the properties, North Lakes and upmarket parts of Murrumba Downs excepted. Also easier to access nice beaches anywhere from woody Point to Scarborough. Not surf beaches but safer for kids with play parks along foreshores.

My suburb with images of easily accessible amenities close by: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/245799-bracken-ridge.html

Bribie would be a horrible commute for hubby. No public transport, huge congestion. I would stay in KP for initial period. For a seven year old, you have to start thinking about schools too. There has been some recent traffic on this subject. Not sure why anyone would want western suburbs....If you live on the northern side, you can be in Caloundra for weekends in not much over an hour. Closest surf beaches to Brisbane, very good for kids.

Thanks Roberta, like I said it was just a thought. We will carry on with our plan to stay in Kangaroo Point after reading the replies. Can I ask why do you state you're not sure why anyone would want western suburbs? We have been researching this move including suburbs and schools for a very long time, and it was the schools we've looked into that has made us think we want to settle in the west. We do realise we won't really know for sure until we are there and have got a feel for different suburbs and visited some schools, so all this could change. We won't be moving until mid/end of November with a view to our children joining a school once they start back at the end of January. Unless husband manages to secure a job before we go or very quickly after arrival.

Thanks John. What great pictures, thank you for sharing! Thanks also for the link with info Bracken Ridge, very interesting/helpful. We had thought western suburbs for schooling, but think we will also check out the northern suburbs once we get there.

I'm on the Bayside (East of Brisbane) and its noticeably hotter in the western suburbs in the summer. We've got a couple of small beaches locally and its easy to get to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

I'd always recommend checking out what public transport is like in the area you want to live in too - it's actually quicker for me to get the train to work than drive somedays!

I have lived in the inner western suburbs for nearly 5 years. I love it here, very family orientated. There is always something going on, and it has some very good primary and secondary state schools - your research is right there. We've settled, bought a house after renting here initially, and have made good friends in the area. Definitely don't write it off based on the opinion of one person. There are lots of sports clubs for the kids in the surrounding area - from athletics to cricket or footy. Fair amount for the adults too if you want to get involved in that kind of thing.

My husband works very close to the CBD, we chose to buy within a short drive to a train line, therefore he has the choice of driving or train. He chooses to take the train almost all of the time as he says its easy, less stressful, he can read emails etc on the way in.

I do a fair amount of driving about for work. I find the Northside to be so much worse in terms of traffic volume, traffic lights etc than the Southside or Western suburbs.

I have lived in the inner western suburbs for nearly 5 years. I love it here, very family orientated. There is always something going on, and it has some very good primary and secondary state schools - your research is right there. We've settled, bought a house after renting here initially, and have made good friends in the area. Definitely don't write it off based on the opinion of one person. There are lots of sports clubs for the kids in the surrounding area - from athletics to cricket or footy. Fair amount for the adults too if you want to get involved in that kind of thing.

My husband works very close to the CBD, we chose to buy within a short drive to a train line, therefore he has the choice of driving or train. He chooses to take the train almost all of the time as he says its easy, less stressful, he can read emails etc on the way in.

I do a fair amount of driving about for work. I find the Northside to be so much worse in terms of traffic volume, traffic lights etc than the Southside or Western suburbs.

Thanks tickled pink for your positive reply, I appreciate it:) We also like the look of a suburb in the west that would mean a short drive to a train line. You mention the secondary state schools, this is another reason we have set our sights on the west, as it is important that the primary school we get into will then feed into a good high school, and the ones we like the look of are all in the western suburbs we have shortlisted.

Just to second that. I live out at The Gap (not near a train line, but a western suburb) and I'm not sure why someone would consider the western suburbs as poor for schooling. The state schools (primary and secondary) do very well in the state assessments and we chose this suburb wiht schooling in mind. We have a very positive view of the place and would most likely stay here when upgrading from our first home.

Just to second that. I live out at The Gap (not near a train line, but a western suburb) and I'm not sure why someone would consider the western suburbs as poor for schooling. The state schools (primary and secondary) do very well in the state assessments and we chose this suburb wiht schooling in mind. We have a very positive view of the place and would most likely stay here when upgrading from our first home.

Thanks Robfromdublin. The Gap is also on our shortlist, and I also like the leafy/hilly outlook of the area..

Archived