Cheap hire cars from Brisbane to Cairns

jadee

Good afternoon, I hope you are well well!

Myself and my fiancé will soon be completing our 189 visa validation visit in August 2016.

During this time we hope to "DIY" drive some of the East Coast namely from Brisbane to Cairns. Taking approximately 10 days. I have compared a few car hire sites but seem to be getting stung with the one way hire.

Can anyone advise me on any affordable car hire companies or companies that offer the DIY drive with their vehicles?

Any help is much appreciated, Jade

Hi,

With RentalCars they offer an all inclusive insurance so you don't need to (although check) take out any additional insurance. All we did was take out their insurance which was an extra cost, but it was still cheaper than going direct.

I would also look at the One Way camper hires / Relocations (they sometimes have cars too). If you find one that slots in with your time frame they can be as little $1 per day and you also get a certain amount of fuel paid for you. A quick google should give you a list of companys to check out.

Cal x

we just used vroom vroom to book europcar.... used them 3 times now and absolutely brilliant. Booked insurance at Europcar desk though as it is much better cover and cheaper too.... ps if you go to Cairns, make sure you head to Port Douglas... WOW

Have a look at AirportRentals.com. They are based in Brisbane and are a broker for car rental. I always use them when I travel to Brisbane and they always get me the best deal available from various companies at the airport.

Also check out your travel insurance policy, as some insurance companies include cover for the excess required in Australia. If your policy has this option, you won't need to include that function in your contract with the hire company.

Some companies also have a "Relocation" package available, whereby they want a vehicle returned to a certain city in a certain time frame. We once drove a 4WD motor caravan from Alice Springs back to Perth on one of those packages. Sadly there was a short time frame involved so we couldn't take too long on the journey, but it only cost us the fuel and camp fees along the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived