Please help with schools around Ferny Grove

Judan

Hi, I am so confused as over in the UK 'state school' would suggest LEA run local primary/high school and public/independent would suggest 'private' schooling.

Please note I am far from anti Private schooling,my husband went to private school. However,our finances will not allow us to even consider it.

Therefore am I right in thinking that Ferny Hills primary and Patricks Road are NOT private schools, and similar to our LEA run schools?

Next question where is the nearest High School that is not a 'private'school, as totally confused by status of Ferny Grove state High school, it classes itself as 'an independent public state school'....

We fly out to Toowong for 4 weeks this Monday,then hope to get long term rental in Ferny Grove in August(have viewings arranged next week when we arrive).

Thanks in advance for any help....confused of uk!

Ferny Grove High is a normal state high school as is Ferny Grove, Ferny Hills and Patrick Road primary schools. Ferny Hills is quite small. Patrick Road is bigger but has a slightly better reputation academically and socially. I don't think that you would go wrong with any of the primary schools. From recollection Patrick Road had after school and holiday club but I am not sure about Ferny Hills.

You do have to contribute to books, and the uniforms are really pricey in comparison to the UK. If you are on a 457 you will have to pay fees.

Hi, I am so confused as over in the UK 'state school' would suggest LEA run local primary/high school and public/independent would suggest 'private' schooling.

Please note I am far from anti Private schooling,my husband went to private school. However,our finances will not allow us to even consider it.

Therefore am I right in thinking that Ferny Hills primary and Patricks Road are NOT private schools, and similar to our LEA run schools?

Next question where is the nearest High School that is not a 'private'school, as totally confused by status of Ferny Grove state High school, it classes itself as 'an independent public state school'....

We fly out to Toowong for 4 weeks this Monday,then hope to get long term rental in Ferny Grove in August(have viewings arranged next week when we arrive).

Thanks in advance for any help....confused of uk!

Independent public state school means that it is a government school, but is merit select. This means it can choose its own teachers and distribute its funding the way the school feels appropriate.

For example, most government schools in WA are now independent (merit select) which gives the Principal greater autonomy in making school decisions and selecting his or her own staff rather than being told by a central education office who they have to employ.

However, as a temporary 457 visa holder you will have to pay tuition fees of around $4000 a year I believe.

Thanks Peachy, tried to pm you back,but couldn't manage.....but thanks for that advice re streets. Re school fees,have heard varying views,but as you and Sammy 1 have both mentioned it appears we may not. Head of Ferny Hills primary thought not,but was a possibility. Oh well at least I am now prepared for the school fee bombshell,was aware re: books and uniform though.

Thanks Peachy, tried to pm you back,but couldn't manage.....but thanks for that advice re streets. Re school fees,have heard varying views,but as you and Sammy 1 have both mentioned it appears we may not. Head of Ferny Hills primary thought not,but was a possibility. Oh well at least I am now prepared for the school fee bombshell,was aware re: books and uniform though.

There are no school fees for state schools in Queensland if you are on a 457. I think that only applies in NSW, ACT and possibly WA. One less thing for you to worry about!

There are no school fees for state schools in Queensland if you are on a 457. I think that only applies in NSW, ACT and possibly WA. One less thing for you to worry about!

Head at Ferny Hills primary told me he thought we ok on 457, I read there was a fee waverer put in place in 2012 for Queensland.....which I thought meant up to the individual school....husband read as none to pay.

Thanks for you reply Loopylou

Archived