Recce/holiday to Queensland

Kimbodia

We need to validate our regional visas, were planning a trip to Queensland for February. We've never been to Queensland before and currently have no idea where we'll end up living when it comes to emigrating. This trip is to validate the visa's, get a feel for Queensland and have a family holiday. We have two children aged 7 and 4 and plan to spend 14-17 days in Queensland. Can anyone suggest places worth visiting or possible itinerary ideas as I'm struggling to make a plan. We don't want it to be incredibly hectic as we need to consider the children. We have a vague plan of a week on Sunshine coast, possibly a 2 night camping trip in Fraser island and a week in and around Cairns. Being such a huge state and having no strong direction as to where we'll end up makes for tricky holiday planning. :wink:

Edited by Kimbodia

With two young kids I would suggest a few days on the Gold Coast and take in all the theme parks. Coconuts Holiday resort in Cairns is a great place to stay with young kids. My favourite place is Port Douglas but there's not much there for kids. We have just returned from 10 days up there with our 5 year old grand daughter. We spent 6 days in Port Douglas and the rest at Vision Apartments on the Esplanade in Cairns. There is no beach in Cairns but we were close to the Cairns Lagoon and Muddy's Water playground and the Cairns Night Markets.

If you will need to work/ live in a Regional area once you move i would spend a fair few days checking out those types of areas for both living and job availability. Door knock some company's and see what response you get. You will find great play parks etc dotted around so you can have a break from driving and let the kids run off steam..

Of course do some touristy stuff, but remember you will have a lifetime to do those things once you do move here.

Cal x

What Cal says. You need to figure out which regional area gives you the best opportunities; don't waste it on holiday stuff when your future depends on finding somewhere that suits you to settle. Have you checked out Seek and other employment sites to see where you would be able to find jobs? Find that out and work from there. Every region in Queensland has both beauty and bad bits.

February can also a horrendous time to visit from a heat and humidity point of view. You'll probably find it hard going if you've never been exposed to it before, especially in the tropics, so take it easy.

Thanks for your replies so far. We want to go to the regional parts, not Gold Coast as I want to be thinking about the day to day living and envisage myself living there. We've been looking on seek for a long time, my husband is a mechanical draughtsman though there appears to be little work for him in Queensland. We have a plan in mind for him to do an apprenticeship in a trade in Oz, we need to explore how possible this really is for him. I have an PA/admin background so would hope to pick up work almost anywhere without needing to be specific.

Thanks for the mention about bad weather in February, its a valuable point. Though we have visa validation deadline hanging over our heads and I just don't think we're going to be able to get over before this year is up.

I'd still love to hear further suggestions of places to visit on our trip to Queensland.

Thanks very much

Thanks for your replies so far. We want to go to the regional parts,

Thanks for the mention about bad weather in February, its a valuable point. Though we have visa validation deadline hanging over our heads and I just don't think we're going to be able to get over before this year is up.

I'd still love to hear further suggestions of places to visit on our trip to Queensland.

Thanks very much

February in Qld is 'the wet', north of Rockhampton, supposedly. It is also 'cyclone season'. So, I would be looking to Gladstone and south west to the Darling Downs.

Cheers, Bobj.