Ancestry Visa Info

ScotlandBound

Hi there, just looking to see if anyone can help. We are moving back to uk. My daughter and l both have uk passports, but my wife has aussie passport. She previously has had an Ancestry Visa, but is expired. When she applies again, does she still have to prove her right to this visa. Thanking you in advance.

Hi there, just looking to see if anyone can help. We are moving back to uk. My daughter and l both have uk passports, but my wife has aussie passport. She previously has had an Ancestry Visa, but is expired. When she applies again, does she still have to prove her right to this visa. Thanking you in advance.

I'm hoping someone will pitch in with an answer, but I'd be fairly certain that it would be considered a completely new application and she'd have to provide proof all over again. I guess if in doubt, it's best to give them more than they need!

• 3 months later...

Hi ScotlandBound,

We're planning on getting an Ancestry Visa for my wife as well. If you don't mind, any useful info regarding your experience with the Visa process would be appreciated. It looks like it's less stressful than the Spouse Visa application, which is why we're going this route, I assume you're doing it for the same reason?

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Rainman, yes Definately better than spouse visa. My wife got her visa in 7days. Paid extra for priority processing. If you have specific question or question happy to assist. Oh and she doesn't need passport photo!

That's great news, congratulations. We'll definitely look into going down the AV path. My wife had it years ago, then ILR but stupidly we didn't get her Citizenship which I bitterly regret now. I believe it's possible to apply for an Ancestry Visa again. If anyone can confirm that I'd appreciate it. Only problem is finding all the birth certificates etc. that we'll need...

Hi @Rainman you can get access to all your family birth and marriage certificates online via UK website. I've lost both my parents and didn't have these (or their marriage certificate) and we didn't know which year they were married (they fibbed as Mum was pregnant when they got married, bless). Sometimes you don't need to know all the details, - I honestly didn't know my Mum & Dad's actual birth year - I know that sounds horrid but they've been passed quite some time (ok I feel like a gob shite now), anyway once your through to the HM Passport Office (you will get directed here once you start) you can give a period of the birth year and range of month they were born and it still gets sorted. It took me 3.5 weeks to get mine delivered from UK - I needed these for my British passport application (reasonably priced too).

I think the GOV UK website is quite informative and helpful - seems better and easier to understand than our ATO one.

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Good luck

My wife too had one previously, including ILR. We left the UK in 2004, and then they changed the law!. So in answer to your question, yes she can apply again. My wifes grandmother was born in UK. The documents my wife sent off were - Birth certificate for Grandmother, her mother and herself. Then our marriage certificate. We obtained grandmother birth certificate online thru www.gro.gov.uk -She also provided photocopy of her old passport showing her original Ancestry Visa (took copy to the biometric apt, and the certified all documents that she wanted to submit at a cost of $5 each. Take photocopies of all documents that will be submitted with application, then take both original and copies to apt, they will certify for you, then you can take your originals home with you) If you get them to photocopy docs they will charge you even more.

@suesmalls Thanks for the info. I'm fairly sure we have the documents somewhere still but it's good to know we can get them via online.

When we applied last time, we noticed my wife's Grandfather's birthdate didn't match up on all the documents we supplied. Either it was a mistake or they were obviously hiding the fact he was born before his Parents were married. Not the done thing in 1901! Because of the date difference it caused a bit of a problem. I just hope it doesn't become a problem again.

My wife too had one previously, including ILR. We left the UK in 2004, and then they changed the law!. So in answer to your question, yes she can apply again. My wifes grandmother was born in UK. The documents my wife sent off were - Birth certificate for Grandmother, her mother and herself. Then our marriage certificate. We obtained grandmother birth certificate online thru www.gro.gov.uk -She also provided photocopy of her old passport showing her original Ancestry Visa (took copy to the biometric apt, and the certified all documents that she wanted to submit at a cost of $5 each. Take photocopies of all documents that will be submitted with application, then take both original and copies to apt, they will certify for you, then you can take your originals home with you) If you get them to photocopy docs they will charge you even more.

That's a relief to know we can apply again. Thanks for the info, it's so handy your circumstances are similar to ours. The process sounds straightforward enough. We left in 2002, but it didn't occur to us that we should get her Citizenship first. How much hassle that would have saved!

Did you go for the biometric appointment in Sydney? We're in Brisbane, I'm hoping there's an office up here.

One other question, is there a time limit to when she must be in the UK to activate the Visa?

• 4 months later...

Hi ScotlandBound, I'm hoping that you still come on to these forums. We're starting the process of applying for my wife's Ancestry Visa. Given your recent experience with this type of Visa application, I'd appreciate your assistance. Looking through the application form VAF2 (which I hope is the correct form), one of the questions is, will you have enough funds to support yourself and supply bank statements. How much is considered as being enough to satisfy this question? Also, as I will be working in the UK and my salary is enough to support my wife and our kids, should I include documents showing my earnings, even though technically this is not a Visa that requires me to sponsor her?

Have you now arrived in the UK and if so, how are you finding it?

Cheers,

Archived