School fees in Queensland on 457 visa

Judan

Hi

I have read conflicting information on 457 visa holders paying fees in Brisbane. Can anyone please answer me these questions:

All British citizens going over to Brisbane on husband's 457 visa,will we have to pay for our 9 year old to go to school in Brisbane(state school)?

if so, how much?

Also, if so can husband not pay tax on the school fee amount of his salary?

Any other advice re school fees in Brisbane warmly welcomed.

No fees at the moment, other than the bog standard "voluntary" contributions they will ask you for (your hand will be in your pocket most of the time) which everyone pays. However you never can tell and you should not be surprised if Qld decides to catch up with NSW, ACT, WA, SA who all charge temporary visa holders these days.

No, you cannot not pay tax on the school fee amount although some employers have negotiated salary sacrificing which might (in some cases I believe) include sacrificing into private school fees

we came over 4 years ago on 457 to Queensland. As was mentioned above, if you intend to go to a state school then there are no fees just the payments for books, writing tools etc. There are lots of private schools which are quite reasonably priced too. We opted to send our two children to state primary school but will send them to a private high school.

Hi

I have read conflicting information on 457 visa holders paying fees in Brisbane. Can anyone please answer me these questions:

All British citizens going over to Brisbane on husband's 457 visa,will we have to pay for our 9 year old to go to school in Brisbane(state school)?

if so, how much?

Also, if so can husband not pay tax on the school fee amount of his salary?

Any other advice re school fees in Brisbane warmly welcomed.

No fees as far as I am aware but on a 457 you wont get any rebate on out of hours schoolcare should you need to use it

Should have said, if you have kids who are post school age and want them to go to Uni or TAFE then you will be up for International $tudent fee$!!

Salary sacrificing for private school fees is a matter between you and your employer, not everyone can do it but there are other things you can Sal Sac into depending on the job that you have.

Thanks Quoll, only one son primary age. Do you need citizenship to avoid international uni fees? Am just thinking ahead.

PR at least but you can't get loans for education and defer payments until citizens. Be alert too, that if you go back to UK before Uni you have to be there 3 years to avoid International fees in UK.

Archived