WA police recruitment process anyone?

samjwilli

Hi! My husband has just passed his application stage for Western Australia police and has been given his assessment days which are in August. He is a qualified paramedic and has been working as a police special in the UK for the last few years.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advise of the assessment process please?? We are arriving in Perth on the 4th July 2016

Thanks Sam.

I believe it is very similar to the prison service which I did and passed, in which case this is the route.

The assessment day will be a set of papers including basic English and maths and things - fairly simple and a physiological assessment type paper in which there is no right or wrong answer. There was nothing in the papers that were hard, though the time allowed is very tight.

After that was the physical test which was a combination of a beep run, press ups, sit ups and a thing where you run between cones and do different exercises at each cone and have to complete within a time - the only issue with this was we did it in a room with carpet and the only way to do it in the time was to skid to the cones on your knees and all of us got carpet burns that bled like hell.

The next stage was interview which was in front of a panel of 3 and lasted about 40 minutes.

Some of us, including myself were then asked to see a phycologist.

The big thing to note is that all positons are pool, which means that if you pass you go into a pool from which they "may" select some, all or none. If you don't get selected from the pool in 12 months, you have to do it all again to go in the next years pool. In my case, they never selected anyone that year due to budget cuts, then I was given a free pass into the following year and offered a position. But, they had in the mean time slashed the salary and it was not worth doing any more.

He needs to practice the beep test as it is harder than people think. They will send out detailed instructions though on it before hand

1st Entrance exam ( all up about 3/4 hours ). Upon passing that you do either the physical then the psyche interview ( or it could be the other way round) then interview. ps - this isn't all in the same day, week or so between each bit. It may of changed in recent times so check out the " step forward " wa police web page.

Think you do the Police Officer training in joondalup, I used to know a woman copper who was one of the trainers. She was going to get me in, but i changed my mind. At the time the resources/construction boom was in full swing and you could not really compare the cash.. Times have changed now so a steady income is the way to go. Goodluck