Can you define a "Certified Copy"

keithredpath

I am doing my own Visa Application and came across the statement "Certified Copies" of Birth Certificates etc. What are Certified Copies. I have spent a few pounds getting copies of Marriage Lines. Divorce Papers, Birth Certificates, etc. All I have done so far is photo copy them with a view to send them in. Are these documents acceptable?

I am doing my own Visa Application and came across the statement "Certified Copies" of Birth Certificates etc. What are Certified Copies. I have spent a few pounds getting copies of Marriage Lines. Divorce Papers, Birth Certificates, etc. All I have done so far is photo copy them with a view to send them in. Are these documents acceptable?

Probably not. A Certified Copy is where someone of authority e.g. a JP, Police Officer has sighted the original document and the copy at the same time and certifies in writing on the document that this is a true copy. If you have made a photocopy of something by itself - then this is not acceptable as with technology the way it is you could have manipulated the document prior to photocopying and you could not tell.

Agree with the above.

Fwiw we used our solicitor to witness all the official documents. Paid about £30 for him to witness and certify a pile of stuff like passports, birth certs and the like.

ETA- this was in the days of a postal application only for my visa. Online these days its a bit different iirc.

Edited by Guest
eta

Can I apply for a Parent Visa on line (173)

I have no idea. But if you do an online application, you just scan colour copies of your documents, no certification necessary. If you are sending in paper copies you will need to get them properly certified.

We had to send certified copies. These were scanned over. This had to be signed, dated and stamped by a notary public and not just any solicitor. It cost us £170 for passport page and trade certs!

• 2 months later...

OK sorry to hi-jack this thread but I also have some questions with regard to certified copies:

I have sent off for copies of my birth/marriage certificate and the documents they have sent me have 'Certified Copy' printed across them - does this count as a certified copy for visa purposes?

If not, my husband matches the criteria to be able to certify, can he do this or does it need to be someone not connected?

..and finally..(!) I cannot see anywhere in the online application where it says scanned originals are acceptable and do not need to be certified copies, can anyone verify this?

If they say certified copy on the document, this I would take to mean its an official copy of the original that they are stating. Its not certified in the sense that Aus immigration would be after.

I don't think you can self certify. It has to be a 3rd party that is recognised.

Is this for a partner visa? If you are applying online then scanned colour copies of official documents should be fine (black and white will not be). If sending in via post, then official documents will need to be certified by a solicitor (if in the UK). Usually a nominal charge.