Passports.

Oz Hog

Ok I was born in UK but have lived here for 40+ years and am an Australian citizen. For family reasons I wish to return to live in UK. I would have to come back here in 3 or 4 years in order to claim the pension. I've been told that I would need to leave and return to Aust. on an Aust. passport, but that to get more than a 6 month visa I would have to enter UK on a UK passport. For time and financial reasons I can only afford to get 1 of the passports right now. Would it work if I were to enter the UK on my Aust.passport, then when I'd been in UK for a couple of months get a UK one and maybe hop over to France for the weekend and then re-enter UK on my UK passport? Bit convulated I know but I think it makes sense.

Oh and another thing, would I be able initially to just use my ING Australian currency VISA card over there?

OK well when we left Australia 4 years ago we entered the UK on our Australian passports and were given 6 month visas but as we were British born it wasnt a problem as we had a right to be there. You don't need to extend the visa you are given at the airport, it's just a formality as you enter on an Australian passport.

OK well when we left Australia 4 years ago we entered the UK on our Australian passports and were given 6 month visas but as we were British born it wasnt a problem as we had a right to be there. You don't need to extend the visa you are given at the airport, it's just a formality as you enter on an Australian passport.

That's what I thought would be the case, but some people, including on here, have said otherwise. Glad to hear from someone who has actually done it.

That's what I thought would be the case, but some people, including on here, have said otherwise. Glad to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Well yes I can only speak from experience and that was ours. The girl at the airport even said as much, she had to stamp the passport but being English we had a right to be here. She said just get a UK passport, it took me a couple of years to get round to it though.

Archived