was your container checked?

trabonita

I am just about to sign up with pickfords and I thought the cost was inclusive door to door. However, ive just read that we would have to pay between $140-400 if our container was checked by customs in Australia, of course apparently this is unlikely, but I'm not believing this as its a shared container and we would still have to pay even if they were checking the other persons goods. How likely is it that it will be checked? has anyone else incurred these costs?

Many thanks!

Yes. They checked the box marked 'shoes' and the one marked 'Christmas decorations'.

We were expecting this and knew about the costs involved well in advance.

Yep, us as well. The only box that they had definitely gone through was the one marked Christmas decorations. I thought everyone had to pay the customs fee and the only reason places don't charge it up front is in case customs finds something and wants to charge extra (or they put the prices up).

Yes, some of our things were checked. They put stickers on the boxes/items that they looked at, so we knew they had done it. They checked the kids play equipment, some garden things and some boxes, although I don't remember which ones.

I was told once by a shipping company that Customs charge for inspection for all the containers that the shipping company has coming in on the ship. They have no way of knowing what containers customs will decide to open so they just divide it by the amount of containers they are shipping and everyone pays equal, and its just down to luck on the day if yours gets opened or not. Dont know if this is the case but seems sensible. Its not big deal unless you have something you shouldnt, they always tell you what boxes they have opened, bikes are a favourite and gardening stuff.

Thanks everyone. I don't have a problem with them checking it was more that this would be an additional cost to what we are already paying! I wondered if other shipping companies include it in their quotes or if its always an add on if the container is checked?

I don't recall they include it as until its checked no one can know the cost incurred (ie if something has to be cleaned or disposed). I think its normal that its not included.

• 4 weeks later...

We shipped with pickfords also some of our boxes were checked and we were charged $370 quarantine and inspection fees this was just last week out of a heap of boxes marked on our packed list with a Q for quarantine they only checked 3, tent, shoes and one marked lights and vases, I was told they would have checked this Incase of any foliage was still there

Edited by elainexwx