Sydney - Wow... It's been 1 Year Already?

dangargoyle

Just finished my first year in Australia on 20th May 2016. How time flies. What an experience this has been! It has been awesome, exciting and worthwhile.... much, much better than what I had anticipated. In summary, what a great transformation this has been for me and my family. It was well worth it. I moved into Sydney on 20th May 2015 with my wife and 2 kids, from Africa. Had no problem settling in. Stayed in a hotel for the first 3 weeks and got my first rental property in under 1 month. Got my first temporary IT job in less than 2 months. Second 6 month contract job in less than 3 months, third better paying contract in less than 6 months and a permanent, decent job in under 8 months. Perhaps I've been very lucky, but I guess if you have the right skills in the Australian Job market, you shouldn't have any problems finding a reasonable job. Had lots of fun with the kids and priceless experiences over the past one year that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Family has really bonded and we've become much, much closer with the move. I've lost a lot of weight and am much healthier.. There's less stress in general. No traffic, no crime, no pollution, no discrimination whatsoever. I'm loving every bit of Australia and can't wait for my second year here. Looking forward to getting my citizenship in a couple of years. My only issue - Sydney is damn expensive, even with a 'decent' salary of over $130,000 PA, you still have to do a lot of financial planning to make ends meet. Anywayz, keeping a positive mindset and now hoping to win the lotto soon (Winning the Jackpot - That's the Australian Dream)..

Edited by dangargoyle

Thanks for the update, it seems you have settled in well. Great to hear you got jobs quite quickly, a few update posts from other members have said the same, so its reassuring for those nearing the move that there are jobs out there..

Cal x

Just finished my first year in Australia on 20th May 2016. How time flies. What an experience this has been! It has been awesome, exciting and worthwhile.... much, much better than what I had anticipated. In summary, what a great transformation this has been for me and my family. It was well worth it. I moved into Sydney on 20th May 2015 with my wife and 2 kids, from Africa. Had no problem settling in. Stayed in a hotel for the first 3 weeks and got my first rental property in under 1 month. Got my first temporary IT job in less than 2 months. Second 6 month contract job in less than 3 months, third better paying contract in less than 6 months and a permanent, decent job in under 8 months. Perhaps I've been very lucky, but I guess if you have the right skills in the Australian Job market, you shouldn't have any problems finding a reasonable job. Had lots of fun with the kids and priceless experiences over the past one year that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Family has really bonded and we've become much, much closer with the move. I've lost a lot of weight and am much healthier.. There's less stress in general. No traffic, no crime, no pollution, no discrimination whatsoever. I'm loving every bit of Australia and can't wait for my second year here. Looking forward to getting my citizenship in a couple of years. My only issue - Sydney is damn expensive, even with a 'decent' salary of over $130,000 PA, you still have to do a lot of financial planning to make ends meet. Anywayz, keeping a positive mindset and now hoping to win the lotto soon (Winning the Jackpot - That's the Australian Dream)..

Delighted for you. Hope the next year goes as good as the last.

B

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey Dan, can I ask what you do in IT? I've applied for a VISA for Oz, specifically to live in Sydney and my background is IT and the thing that worries me is not being able to find work!

What are you main skills, as IT covers a lot of ground. Generally I see the (tech) job market strong for BA/PM, Front/Back end dev, Dev roles, UX/UI, InfoSec and Managed Server Providers(MS, Cisco, VM Ware certs).

A lot of IT roles are getting offshored or oursourced, but depending on your skillset it can work for you as a lot roles are difficult to offshore.

Have a look on seek.com.au and linkedin.com, as this will give you an idea of the roles being posted.

If you are looking at Sydney, try to find a high paying job :) Lots of multinationals based in Sydney. Melbourne is another good option, and Canberra once you can get security clearance. The rest of Australia is not doing so great in the IT market.

Edited by evets