Melbourne 4 months in

buckbuchanan

Hello Mr / Mrs / Miss Southwick

We are going to Melbourne (Werribee or Warrandyte) in January.

I am genuinely interested in the background to your journey and your experience.

What led you to Melbourne in the first place?

What are the problems / challenges you have faced?

From our point of view, due to the demise in manufacturing in the UK I can no longer earn a living to support a reasonable lifestyle. Jobs I have been offered in Melbourne pay approximately 20% - 30% more than in the UK depending upon what you base the exchange rate on.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

If you need any info I lived in Point Cook, it was 4 yrs ago and things may of changed but if i can help you in anyway just let me know

Geoffrey

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gary12
Hi Gary

If you need any info I lived in Point Cook, it was 4 yrs ago and things may of changed but if i can help you in anyway just let me know

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

We looked at Point Cook, and viewed some houses there, but didnt fancy it - little bit soul-less for us, but of course that may change in time when (and if) they finish all the new builds going up there.

I am always interested in hearing about the problems that migrants have faced, after all, 99% of all people going already have a positive outlook on the move or they wouldnt do it! Hearing about problems that people face, other than the obvious such as homesickness, gives me far more insight.

I would never let anything I read here put me off, but always better to read things and take them on board, or not.

What do you know about Warrandye? We never visited there.

Gary

I know of it and been through it but not enough to help you out personally. If there is anything that your after about the place let me know Im more than happy to see what i can find out for you.

Coming at it as an Australian we mainly had Kiwis where i worked and we took the p1ss out them every chance we got, as they would to us, it was never personal and always in good fun but we take the p1ss out of every other state as well Tassie and NSW took the brunt of it.

Cricket time is never a good time to be English in Australia, you will need to brush up on it.

All the best

Geoffrey

Guest gary12
I know of it and been through it but not enough to help you out personally. If there is anything that your after about the place let me know Im more than happy to see what i can find out for you.

Coming at it as an Australian we mainly had Kiwis where i worked and we took the p1ss out them every chance we got, as they would to us, it was never personal and always in good fun but we take the p1ss out of every other state as well Tassie and NSW took the brunt of it.

Cricket time is never a good time to be English in Australia, you will need to brush up on it.

All the best

Geoffrey

I love pisstake - unfortunately it is one of the great facets of our culture that has been eroded away over the years by the finger waggers, do gooders and cardigan wearers.

Looking forward to taking your fellow countrymen on and giving it back ten times worse.

The cricket might be a problem though!

Guest Walmington

Hi all,

My company has just offered me a transfer from the London to Melbourne office and this thread has been really useful in setting our expectations.

Our main reason for moving would be to have a better quality of life for our children. We plan to start a family soon and, having being brought up in a sunnier and "safer" country, I am very uncomfortable about bringing up children in London.

So to those who have moved with young children, what is your experience in terms of quality of schools and how "happy" your children are compared to when you were in the UK? Do your kids do more outdoor activities now that the weather is better or has it not made a difference at all?

Many Thanks

Guest Pinhead

Hi

Sorry I can't help re children but I just I'd suggest that you start a new thread to ask your questions as this thread has been a bit 'tarnished' and people may not be reading it who could assist you.

Melbourne is a fantastic city IMO but some people have differing views.

Good post, a prime example of what I was eluding to.

Ok... I was joking all along. The streets are paved with gold. You can drop litter and a fairy will follow you picking it up. I work 1 hour a year and get paid more than I did in the UK, and my house is 10 times the size of my house in the UK and has off course got a pool.

If that's what you want to hear then I suggest you read no further...

Joking aside I think this thread has got a bit bitter (mostly my fault). To those of you saying I am a whinger - maybe that's how I come accross, but that isn't my intention. As southrick says my intention was to give a balanced view, which I think I have done (and my opinions have in part been backed up). It is good to see people like the Johatts on here saying basically "yes there are bad points, but on the whole we love it". This gives you a real idea of what it is like here - I mention some negatives and positives, people agree or disagree and give their opinion - you make your mind up. People posting responses which just disagree with everything should really be ignored.

Broughtons - I'm glad it is working out for you. You now have more time together even though you have less cash. But, my take on this is why didn't you both get new jobs in the UK? If you could afford a pay cut over here to be happy, then you could afford a pay cut in the UK. Why didn't your OH get a job as a postie in the UK? If you lived in an expensive part of the UK, you could have moved 30 miles to a cheaper area. You didn't have to move 12000 miles away and spend thousands in the process to reach your goal.

Aanxious mum - where do I begin? Firstly, after being here for 4 months (look at the title of the thread), I don't have jet lag any more. I didn't do a reccie - unlike moneybags Anxiousmum, I didn't have a spare £7000 to fly us all out here. I don't regret coming here because the alternative would have been to regret not coming for the rest of my life. If it doesn't work out I will simply go home again. The only way I could afford to do this was to sell my house (since my UK motgage had just jumped £200 a month I was more than happy to do that) and give it a go. You take your chances in life. So do come and do a reccie. Have that "good look around". When you come back tell us what you thought. Someone mentions that they had a look at Point Cook and found it soul less - bad news - most suburbs are.

As for the 40% tax thing... I still haven't found out because my wife has been ill and I have been working from home for the past 3 weeks. But I will find out as my time is running out.

As for the comparison in prices between the UK and here - I was in the UK 4 months ago. I know how much things cost in the UK. Prices are going up here at the same rate so don't think Australia is some how isolated from the global escalation in prices. Petrol was $1.35 when we got here 4 months ago. It is now $1.70. So the 1 thing that I said was clearly cheaper is quickly catching up with the UK.

As I have said all along, come and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it, or anybody else's. Just be ready to adjust your expectations. It's not all good here, but it's not all bad. As numerous people have said it is around the same standard (or quality) as the UK, except for the climate and the fact that your relatives will be 12000 miles away. There are still the same news headlines - shootings, job losses, prices rising, electricity and gas prices going through the roof, dishonest politicians, etc, etc... You have to decide for yourself what is important. My glass is half empty and half full (believe it or not). Don't take in everything you read from people whos glasses are half full - they might just have luckily landed on their feet - you might not.

Guest JoanneHattersley

IMO anyone who packs up their family and sells up everything to move to oz without doing a reccie trip should have their head examined

Ok, Good afternoon all, have had a hard day at work and been catching up on this thread. Blimey!!

:arghh:

Pinhead: I came here with no reccy! There was no way at the time we could afford one! My husband did all the internet research before we came. I didnt want to know anything! My theory was "if I didnt know then how could I be disappointed?". I had no expectations when I came here and by christ I loved it from day 1!!! That doesnt make me crazy!!! While a reccy can be great for some, for me it would have served no purpose and cost a lot! You cannot get the feel for living somewhere while you are here on a few weeks holiday!

AnxiousMum: Dead right - this thread has gone on long enough and as you say started out as Buck "telling his story honestly!" Dont let anyone put you off going anywhere. Buck has grown to love some of Melbourne. I have been and while I loved being there with family I know that I wouldnt want to live there. Investigate for yourself!

Buck: Bet you wish you`d never started this thread! Good on ya for being open and honest and saying it like it is for you! No sugar coating just the facts! You speak the way I like.....no B*****t!!!!!!!

Guest JoanneHattersley
It is good to see people like the Johatts on here saying basically "yes there are bad points, but on the whole we love it". This gives you a real idea of what it is like here -.

Thanks mate! You`ll always get honest from me! Sometimes too honest!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Great post too by the way! (forgot that bit earlier!)

Guest Pinhead

Did you sell up everthing and take it with you?

You're quite right spending a few weeks in a country is not the same as living there especially if you do tourist things the whole time, however it does give you an indication of what it's like. First impressions can be quite powerful and often stick with you.

Not doing a 3 week reccie could be a false economy when you consider how much it will cost you to sell your house (& potentially buy a new one if it doens't work out), ship your belongs around the world (& potentially back again), take your kids out of schools they are settled in, potential loss on exchange rates etc. Not to mention the stress of the whole process!

Glad it's working out for you.

Thanks for the post Buck.....

Aanxious mum - where do I begin? Firstly, after being here for 4 months (look at the title of the thread), I don't have jet lag any more. I didn't do a reccie - unlike moneybags Anxiousmum, I didn't have a spare £7000 to fly us all out here. I don't regret coming here because the alternative would have been to regret not coming for the rest of my life. If it doesn't work out I will simply go home again. The only way I could afford to do this was to sell my house (since my UK motgage had just jumped £200 a month I was more than happy to do that) and give it a go. You take your chances in life. So do come and do a reccie. Have that "good look around". When you come back tell us what you thought. Someone mentions that they had a look at Point Cook and found it soul less - bad news - most suburbs are.

If only I was moneybags........ But joking aside, after much thought I have decided your posts are needed here, we all need to know what it is like for people. We are all different. Thanks for the entertainment.

Guest jankroo

I do agree with the supermarket story very boring nothing like the UK you certainly do have a great choice. If you want a relaxing day head up to St Andrews Market on the fringe of the CBD in the Yarra Valley if you haven't been there before an alternative place to chill out on a Sat.. early morning coffee next to the pub and then across to the market go hungry as the food is tasty it goes until around 2pm then relax at the pub. Go via Eltham for the better view through the vines on route lots of K/ Roo's if you look in the Hills surrounding worth the visit.Approx 45mins drive

Those Backpacking can come and stay with us we have a mud brick cottage which is under renovation ready in a couple few weeks time 20 plus K/roos outside the door sleeps 4-5 affordable

self contained. A brilliant place for a getaway or bush walk to the pub & market from here.

We do regular trips to the Station Hurstbridge line and Eltham so can collect & drop off.

Have had extensive years of being packpackers now it all about Family life and what goes with it..

Contact us will post photos soon for those that are interested in affordable accom

Archived