Proof of PR for Child Passport

Cubiscus

Hi Guys, We moved here as PRs in September and had a child in January, just got her UK passport and now looking at her Aussie one which is proving trickier - Can anyone help with proof of permanent residency? Apparently visa labels are no longer available and none of the items here are acceptable - http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/born-after-1986-one-parent-resident I’m confused, why can’t the passport office just check VEVO? What is acceptable? Anyone have any experience of this?

You don't go straight to the passport application. You have to first of all obtain proof of her citizenship, then when you have that you apply for the passport. I am sure immigration can see that you are permanent residents.

You don't go straight to the passport application. You have to first of all obtain proof of her citizenship, then when you have that you apply for the passport. I am sure immigration can see that you are permanent residents.
Yes I know, the certificate of citizenship requires one parent's proof of PR.

Yes I know, the certificate of citizenship requires one parent's proof of PR.

I am baffled, why don't they just look you up? Failing that, visa grant letter? Look yourself up o VEVO and take a screen prints?

Do you not have your visa grant notice? I printed a couple of full copies of that off for when required to show PR status.

As per the DIPB website the following are not acceptable - http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/born-after-1986-one-parent-resident

• parent's foreign passport with visa label
  • Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) printout
  • visa grant notification letter
  • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (CERS)
  • Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZCA)
  • ImmiCard
  • Freedom of Information (FOI) letter from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Which invites the question of what is acceptable?!

I know. Which also needs proof of permanent residency.

I am really struggling to understand your issue. It is very easy to prove your PR status, why is it that you cannot do so? You have listed a number of ways to do so yourself, so what exactly is the problem? It is very hard to help you when it all seems so very straight forward.

The OP has listed all the documents that are NOT acceptable for proving his PR status.

The only acceptable item which will prove his PR status is a stamp in his passport - which he doesn't have and cannot get.

Hence his dilemma.

There was a similar discussion on here a few weeks ago - think it was Brian (trying to organise passports for his new baby) who had the same issue.

Apologies for misunderstanding in previous post but I'm a bit slow today. Bungo is correct.

The list of unacceptable documents you listed are for passport applications. They're not necessarily unacceptable for the Evidence of Citizenship Certificate.

I am really struggling to understand your issue. It is very easy to prove your PR status, why is it that you cannot do so? You have listed a number of ways to do so yourself, so what exactly is the problem? It is very hard to help you when it all seems so very straight forward.
Those are documents that are NOT acceptable for a passport application. If they were I wouldn't be asking the question.

The question is related to both the citizenship certificate and passport application itself. The certificate I'll try with VEVO or my visa grant and we'll see what happens.

The only acceptable item which will prove his PR status is a stamp in his passport - which he doesn't have and cannot get.

There was a similar discussion on here a few weeks ago - think it was Brian (trying to organise passports for his new baby) who had the same issue.

Correct - was there a resolution to that one?

If you look on the form that is attached to the link you posted, the form (pg.5) says;

You were born in Australia after 20 August 1986. At least one of your parents was a permanent resident of Australia at the time of your birth.

This is would apply to your daughter.

Then, when you look over in the supporting documents needed, column, it says; evidence of one parents permanent residence in Australia (if available).

i think the 'if available' is the key. Elsewhere on the form you have to provide your passport details, so I'm sure that they'll just check this to ensure the attached visa was current at the time of the birth of your daughter.

Re the stamp in the passport, if that is what is required to show you were resident, surely you had your passport stamped on entry to Aus by immigration?

Re the stamp in the passport, if that is what is required to show you were resident, surely you had your passport stamped on entry to Aus by immigration?
No stamp for me, all electronic. I understand they stopped doing visa labels too as of September last year.

i think the 'if available' is the key. Elsewhere on the form you have to provide your passport details, so I'm sure that they'll just check this to ensure the attached visa was current at the time of the birth of your daughter.
Thanks, and any idea what is acceptable for the passport application itself? It specifically says VEVO and the grant letter are not acceptable (I'm not sure why).

You have misunderstood. You don't need to provide proof of your residence status for the passport application, just your photo ID and proof of address. It's on the passport office website.

For the child to qualify for a passport, you need to confirm their Australian citizenshipand prove their personal identity, using original documents.

Persons born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens only if at least one of their parents was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

If your child was born in Australia, you must present their full Australian birth certificate when you lodge their application, together with additional documentation to prove their Australian citizenship.

When you click on the 'prove their Australian citizenship' link you get the following;

If you were born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one (or both) of your parents was an Australian permanent resident, you must provide evidence of your own Australian citizenship with a citizenship certificate issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You will need to apply for this using Form 119 Application for evidence of Australian citizenship (pdf). You should take into account DIBP and passport processing times before booking any travel.

Certain. Go on the passport office website and follow the links to the child passport section.

What the link that you've posted is trying to say is that you can't apply for a passport without the citizenship certificate just by proving your parents are permanrnt residents, you have to get the certificate first.

Archived