Frozen pensions debate in parliament

Fisher1

Unfortunately I think you may be right @VERYSTORMY. The UK government doesn’t seem to worry too much about what is fair, or even morally just. The current course is one of reducing the welfare bill by whatever means. As a result there have been some radical changes to welfare entitlement, resulting in significant reductions of income for some of society’s most vulnerable. Over a million people were referred to a foodbank last year because they had no means of feeding themselves or their family, and hospital admissions for people suffering malnutrition have increased by 50%. Add to that the Women Against Pension Inequality (WASPI) campaign - women born in 1950s expecting to retire at 60 and not formally informed by DWP that their pension age has been extended - who so far have hit a brick wall when asking for transitional arrangements because it is not 'fiscally viable' according to the Minister.

These are people living in the UK and despite protests, petitions, celebrity and prominent charity support, even cross party House of Lords support, the government turns a deaf ear to them. Many WASPI women have already paid 40+ years national insurance contributions but that seems to count for nothing. Against that background I too am doubtful that any extra money will be found to finance increased pensions for expats. T x

This is the nub of the problem and I agree with you. Also what do they do about all the past years of underpayments. Presumably they would be ignored but you can imagine that there would be calls to compensate often very elderly pensioners if they were to change anything.

A case is trying to be built that in some cases there may be a saving to the UK government but I cannot believe that is true really.

Justice and fainess will come a poor second and third to fnancial cost especially in the prevailing climate.

This is the nub of the problem and I agree with you. Also what do they do about all the past years of underpayments. Presumably they would be ignored but you can imagine that there would be calls to compensate often very elderly pensioners if they were to change anything.

A case is trying to be built that in some cases there may be a saving to the UK government but I cannot believe that is true really.

Justice and fainess will come a poor second and third to fnancial cost especially in the prevailing climate.

I think you both have a point. It's unlikely that any change will happen any time soon, certainly not with this government - but I don't see that as a reason to give up - water on a stone and all that. Speaking as a woman born in the fifties who is not yet an expat, I can say that this govt. is shaping up to be one of the most uncaring I can remember.

The original campaign was to reinstate the pensions of expats to the same amount currently payable to people who have remained in the UK. However there has recently been a suggestion that a start could be made by allowing expat pensions to be index linked from the point s decision to upgrade is made, rather than in a retrospective way. Thus, a pensioner receiving £30 a week would receive the next upgrade of 1 or 2 %, gradually increasing the £30 but never reinstating it to the level of a UK resident. Anyone leaving the UK after the decision was made would continue to receive their pensions as if they were still in the UK.

It's important to remember that state pensions are not welfare and that their payment depends on contributions made - you don't pay, you don't get. So it is morally indefensible to pay less to different groups of people who have all contributed exactly the same amount - actually in some cases people who have contributed more are being paid less.

There is absolutely no doubt that expats save the government money by leaving. Pensioners who leave the country immediately saving the UK the cost of annual dental, sight and hearing checks. They also save the cost of doctors appointments, and in Wales the cost of prescriptions. Then come the real biggies of later life - the hearing and sight aids, the potential need for increasing levels of social care, the increased likelihood of hospital treatment. - all of these costs are cancelled at one stroke the moment someone leaves the country for good. And the best bit is, they still have to carry on paying UK taxes, at least in the short term.

Change may be unlikely. Is that a reason to give up?

If you feel that strongly about it you can always stay in the UK ?

You are being a bit disingeuous saying you save the government money by leaving.

That is only looking at 1 side of the equation.

The money you are receiving you will not be spending in the UK so you are actually supporting a foreign country's economy by spending your money there.

If you feel that strongly about it you can always stay in the UK ?

You are being a bit disingeuous saying you save the government money by leaving.

That is only looking at 1 side of the equation.

The money you are receiving you will not be spending in the UK so you are actually supporting a foreign country's economy by spending your money there.

Thank you Parley, I hadn't thought of that. You always see the bigger picture!

Archived