Bridging visas - rights?

JEM44

Hi, just thinking ahead. My mum would ultimately like to apply for Contributory parent visa. And possibly apply onshore when she is ready (not wanting to discuss the issues of doing this whilst having entered on a tourist visa etc).

assuming she did aplply onshore, and was granted a bridging visa, would she still be able to travel outside of Australia for holidays etc whilst waiting for the contributory parent visa to be granted? Or do you have to remain in Aus / onshore, the entire time?

Thanks

Laura

Hi, just thinking ahead. My mum would ultimately like to apply for Contributory parent visa. And possibly apply onshore when she is ready (not wanting to discuss the issues of doing this whilst having entered on a tourist visa etc).

assuming she did aplply onshore, and was granted a bridging visa, would she still be able to travel outside of Australia for holidays etc whilst waiting for the contributory parent visa to be granted? Or do you have to remain in Aus / onshore, the entire time?

Thanks

Laura

She would get a BVA which does not allow overseas travel. In order to go overseas she would need to make a special request for BVB, there is always a chance it won't be granted but more likely that it would be.

She'd only get a bridging visa in a few circumstances....

"In Australia:

You will be granted a Bridging visa if you are the holder of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), the holder of a Tourist visa (subclass 676) or Visitor visa (subclass 600) granted through ministerial intervention, or a member of the family unit of a Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa holder. In all other cases, you will not be granted a Bridging visa to stay in Australia."

A 143 Contributory Visa is classed as an offshore visa and for that reason, apart from the few specific instances that MaggieMay24 has indicated, you cannot get a Bridging Visa - sorry :nah:

If Mum is applying for the Aged Contributory Visa, I think there are different rules for that, not entirely sure.

A 143 Contributory Visa is classed as an offshore visa and for that reason, apart from the few specific instances that MaggieMay24 has indicated, you cannot get a Bridging Visa - sorry :nah:

If Mum is applying for the Aged Contributory Visa, I think there are different rules for that, not entirely sure.

Yes good point, it would have to be an onshore parent visa.

Thanks for all the responses, just one question then.... well two really!

1: does it really matter then if she applied for the Contributory parent visa whilst on a tourist visa (i.e. in Australia so we can complete the application together) if she then continued to return to the UK and back again on tourist visas until the CPV was granted, we assume this will take at least 2 years.

2: What is an onshore parent visa? I have not come across this one before? Does this allow travel outside of Aus whilst it is being processed?

Thanks for all the responses, just one question then.... well two really!

2: What is an onshore parent visa? I have not come across this one before? Does this allow travel outside of Aus whilst it is being processed?

The only onshore parent visas that I know of are the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (864) and the Aged Parent Visa (804). These can both be applied for while in Australia but the parent does have to be of a qualifying age.

Aged Parent visa can take up to 30 years to process (guess not many people manage to get one of those :rolleyes:) but you can have a Bridging Visa while it is processed.

The Contributory Aged Parent visa is taking 18-24 months to process and again, you can have a Bridging Visa while it is processed, but do have to pay the extra visa charge, same as a 143.

A couple of comments:

> Contributory Aged Parent visa applications (subclass 864) have been taking less than a year to process to a decision ...

> There is no evidence to support the Department of Immigration's wild (IMHO) assertion that subclass 804 applications will take 30 years to be decided.

Best regards.

A couple of comments:

> Contributory Aged Parent visa applications (subclass 864) have been taking less than a year to process to a decision ...

> There is no evidence to support the Department of Immigration's wild (IMHO) assertion that subclass 804 applications will take 30 years to be decided.

Best regards.

I'm hearing you Alan, I was just quoting what is cited on the DIBP website, big mistake I know :rolleyes:, and obviously what I know from my own experience.

If you send a blank email to parents@border.gov.au you will note in the reply that in relation to subclass 804 Aged Parent applications:

We are currently assessing for a queue date applications lodged up to 27 March 2015

We are currently assessing for finalization applications with a queue date up to July 2009

Given a queue date is typically issued about 12 to 15 months after an 804 visa application is lodged I remain of the view that about 10 years for the processing of an 804 application is a reasonable expectation.

Onwards!