TFN?! Getting a photocard ID

charleykc

So basically I'm having a couple of issues in terms of my tax file number. Went to the post office today, with the printed evidence I have applied for my TFN however was told I needed my birth certificate as proof of ID (I was told at Sta Travel I would not need any documentation when in Oz, and honestly I find the concept of travelling with your original birth certificate to be an unwise idea but whatever). He then said I could get a photo card ID instead.

I was just wondering whether anyone else needed to do this? Where did you get it done? How much?

If not, does anyone know where to start because I honestly don't know where to haha, the term photo ID card is so general

I applied online then received an email saying

What’s next?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: left]1. [/TD]

[TD=align: left]Print your application summary and prepare for lodgement instore.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 10px][/TD]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]2. [/TD]

[TD=align: left]Lodge your application in person at a participating Australia Post outlet.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]To locate your nearest participating outlet ring 13 13 18 or visit Australia Post office locator[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]3. [/TD]

[TD=align: left]Please ensure that you bring all the necessary documentation as detailed in the attached application summary. This includes your printed application summary together with proof of identity, and where required, your proof of eligibility documents.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Handwritten changes made on your application summary will not be accepted.

So went to the post office (admittedly not reading the entire paper work because I thought my passport would do) got there and it said I need 3 forms of ID!!!

primary obvious being my passport

secondary includes, medicare card, atm card with name and address on account statement etc etc state issued photo card

I guess I could just use my medicare (when I get it, I have only been here a week!) and atm card (again when I get it!)

I don't know this whole process seems like a bit of a joke to be honest haha. I'm only here on a holiday working visa![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Considering what I posted, do you think I could just use medicare/atm card or should I be safe and get a photo ID card? Because the man at the post office did recommend getting an ID card...?

You need ONE form of photo ID and two other forms of ID. You've got your passport so your Medicare card and a bank statement will be fine.

Archived