Cost of Medications

Guest Ozlam

Guest Ozlam

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some advice, my parents emmigrated at the tail end of last year on a contributory Parent Visa, they both have medical conditions, one of which means that a particular medicine is costing $100 per month!, they only have state pensions from the UK plus small government pensions, basically they are struggling financially, the x rate is not helping obviously! (when will they sort this out!), can anyone offer some advice on getting a reduction in cost of medications.?

Thanks

It sounds as if they are taking medicines which are not on the pharmaceutical benefits scheme where the cap per script is $32. If they take out private medical insurance (do they not have to do this for the CPV?) then the private insurer will cover some of the gap between the PBS and the actual price.

Alternatively they can ask for medications which fall under the PBS if there is an equivalent which will do the job.

I assume they are permanent residents and not temporary ones.

Edited to add, there is a safety net provision for all permanent residents - not sure how it would work for meds not on the PBS but it would be worth them checking with their pharmacist. Basically, once you have paid a certain amount then subsequent prescriptions are much discounted. Alternatively they will get a rebate if they are over the threshold on their tax return each year.

Guest Ozlam

Thanks for the reply Quoll,

It sounds as if they are taking medicines which are not on the pharmaceutical benefits scheme where the cap per script is $32.

That's the problem,

If they take out private medical insurance (do they not have to do this for the CPV?) then the private insurer will cover some of the gap between the PBS and the actual price.

They have and it does, but "some" is the operative word

Alternatively they can ask for medications which fall under the PBS if there is an equivalent which will do the job.

Unfortunately non available, it's a pretty specific medicine and even the closest alternative is not right I'm afraid

I assume they are permanent residents and not temporary ones.

Permanent yes. But not citizens so no benefit there.

Edited to add, there is a safety net provision for all permanent residents - not sure how it would work for meds not on the PBS but it would be worth them checking with their pharmacist. Basically, once you have paid a certain amount then subsequent prescriptions are much discounted. Alternatively they will get a rebate if they are over the threshold on their tax return each year.

I'm interested in knowing more about this, I don't really understand :embarrassed:

Guest AndrewL
Thanks for the reply Quoll,

That's the problem,

They have and it does, but "some" is the operative word

Unfortunately non available, it's a pretty specific medicine and even the closest alternative is not right I'm afraid

Permanent yes. But not citizens so no benefit there.

I'm interested in knowing more about this, I don't really understand :embarrassed:

Anyone who is tax resident (even temp res) can claim a rebate for net medical expenses over and above the $1,500 threshold. The rebate is 20% of the amount in excess of $1,500.

Guest Bernice

Hi Ozlam,

Your post is very interesting to me as I am on a whole load of medication for various conditions, and am now a little worried that these are going to cost me a packet every month even if we have prviate medicine. Here in the UK I am exempt from paying for any.

Bernice

Hi Ozlam,

Your post is very interesting to me as I am on a whole load of medication for various conditions, and am now a little worried that these are going to cost me a packet every month even if we have prviate medicine. Here in the UK I am exempt from paying for any.

Bernice

Yup this is a user pays community so expect to pay at least the PBS (pharmaceutical benefit scheme) price for each script with is about the $31 mark. If, like Ozlam's parents, you happen to be on a drug which hasnt been listed on the PBS and there is no listed alternative then you will pay the market price for it and that can be in the hundreds every month. Your private insurance will cover some of the cost of it but no where near all of it.

There is a safety net - once you have spent over about $1200 (I think) on medications then you will be charged at the concession rate which is about $5 a script from memory. However, it appears that only the PBS amounts contribute to your $1200 and not those scripts which are not on PBS (sorry Ozlam, that seems to be the rule from the FAQs). It is worth clarifying this with your pharmacist who can tell you how to record your scripts on a special card which can then be used to invoke the safety net.

As Andrew said, there is always the rebate in your tax return to allay the cost a little.

Archived