17 years old, mother and siblings live in Australia

lenan

Hi, I'm 17 and currently living in the UK. My mother and all my younger siblings are living in Australia and have permanent residency. In September I will be completing my final year of A levels and have decided that I would like to join my family in Australia once I have completed my A levels to live there permanently, take a gap year or so out of education and eventually go to university in Australia (in 2018 I believe once I had worked out the dates). I've heard I can get some kind of family visa through my mother being a permanent resident and with me being a minor at the time of applying for a visa, is this the case? Also, if I gained permanent residency status, what type of fees would I be looking at in going to a University and would I be eligible to any government support or reduced costs in doing a degree?( I would like to do a French degree and have looked into the University of Sydney and Newcastle as they are also close to where my family live.) Just I have read on some websites that even permanent residents are required to pay their University fees upfront like international students and that they are not eligible for support schemes that Australian residents are eligible for. Quite confusing I know! Thanks in advance for any input :smile::smile::smile:

If you are a permanent resident then you pay pay domestic fees, any other type of visa means international fees which are very expensive.

As for government tuition loans, these are only available to citizens. You would be required to pay the fees at the beginning of each semester. Regardless of being a citizen or permanent resident, fees are always paid upfront. The only difference is that for a citizen the government pays the fees for you and then you start paying back as soon as your salary reaches a certain level.

Hi, I'm 17 and currently living in the UK. My mother and all my younger siblings are living in Australia and have permanent residency. In September I will be completing my final year of A levels and have decided that I would like to join my family in Australia once I have completed my A levels to live there permanently, take a gap year or so out of education and eventually go to university in Australia (in 2018 I believe once I had worked out the dates). I've heard I can get some kind of family visa through my mother being a permanent resident and with me being a minor at the time of applying for a visa, is this the case? Also, if I gained permanent residency status, what type of fees would I be looking at in going to a University and would I be eligible to any government support or reduced costs in doing a degree?( I would like to do a French degree and have looked into the University of Sydney and Newcastle as they are also close to where my family live.) Just I have read on some websites that even permanent residents are required to pay their University fees upfront like international students and that they are not eligible for support schemes that Australian residents are eligible for. Quite confusing I know! Thanks in advance for any input :smile::smile::smile:

It would have been a great idea for your mother to have gotten you a visa when the rest of the family got theirs. Anyway, yes she can still sponsor you for a child visa with some ease but it gets harder once you pass 18 and you should not delay this any further. Even if you turn 18 during the processing time it makes things a little bit harder as you then need to show dependency. I trust that you undertook medicals when the rest of the family acquired their visas?

As a permanent resident you get to pay domestic student fees rather than international fees.

As Bungo says, definitely get your mother to apply NOW, don't delay because once you're 18 it will be much harder.

Once you get your visa, you don't have to move out to Australia straight away. You'll have to visit to activate your visa, then you'll have a window of time to decide when you want to relocate permanently.

I'm not sure why your mother didn't add you in the first place but just make sure you get this done before you hit 19 or you will lose your ability to apply under your mother.

Not 19. Needs to be before 18 to avoid questions over dependency. It is not out of the question after then, but harder.

Archived