overstay -best way to depart ASAP

kingwhisker

My friend has overstayed his visa in Australia by four years, and has just discovered he has very serious cancer and needs to return home urgently to begin kemo. He is unwell and very worried about being arrested at the airport, I cannot imagine why Australian Government would do that when an overstayer is voluntarily leaving but some web information seems to be saying (I think) that he should go to immigration FIRST (with his ticket). He has no intention of returning to Australia so does not care what bans the Australian Immigration people may record against him, he just wants to leave ASAP without any delay or hassle from Australian immigration.

A guy i knew 10 years ago booked a flight home went to the local police station and handed himself in they stamped him for 1 extra days stay and he was able to board the flight the next day.

Saying that, it was 10 years ago, things may have changed. If they do decide to do this i suggest bringing all necessary documentation showing that he is currently unwell and they may be more lenient, i would not personally rock up at the airport without first speaking to immigration or at least an immigration lawyer or they may be at more risk of being taken into detention.

My ex husband overstayed his visa by 10 months. I went to an immigration office who told me he had to go in and see them, it was very serious bla bla bla.

We bought a ticket, and turned up at the airport with plenty of time. When checking in we told them and they said they'd keep our bags back until last just incase.

They pulled him into an office and told him he was a silly sod, that he had a three year ban and sent him on his way.

We managed to get visas fine after that three years no problem.

My ex husband overstayed his visa by 10 months. I went to an immigration office who told me he had to go in and see them, it was very serious bla bla bla.

We bought a ticket, and turned up at the airport with plenty of time. When checking in we told them and they said they'd keep our bags back until last just incase.

They pulled him into an office and told him he was a silly sod, that he had a three year ban and sent him on his way.

We managed to get visas fine after that three years no problem.

Bit of a difference though overstaying 4 years. To the OP it sounds like your friend needs to contact the dept of immigration, as people have said have a letter from his Dr. confirming the cancer diagnosis and need for treatment and i'm sure they'll be compassionate.

Bit of a difference though overstaying 4 years. To the OP it sounds like your friend needs to contact the dept of immigration, as people have said have a letter from his Dr. confirming the cancer diagnosis and need for treatment and i'm sure they'll be compassionate.

I don't think it necessarily makes any difference, overstaying is still overstaying regardless of the time frame.

Archived