UK Internet - best deals

roverallover

Hi everyone,

We're set to go, have sorted our house and car and everything is ready to go.

I'd like some advice on internet prices as this is the most pressing "need" according to my daughter.

I've been looking for Naked DSL but everything I have found so far includes monthly line rental charges of around £15.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi everyone,

We're set to go, have sorted our house and car and everything is ready to go.

I'd like some advice on internet prices as this is the most pressing "need" according to my daughter.

I've been looking for Naked DSL but everything I have found so far includes monthly line rental charges of around £15.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

The internet doesn't work without a line to your house - or are you saying that you want to pay a different company from your internet provider for the line?

All internet providers state you need to have a landline which as a min charge between £15 and £18. The landline is really useless if you use mobile phones and there's a lot of discussion about why consumers are forced to take a landline and pay when its never needed.

The only other option, I think, is to go with Virgin who provide internet through their own cable/fibre for which you dont need a landline, dont know if its still true but we had Virgin in 2006/08 without a landline and felt good. Since then we always had to take a landline as we couldnt get Virgin in other places.

For best deals suggest going on moneysavingsexpert and reading the latest deals, cash back offers etc, one of the better websites. Or go to comparison websites like comparethemarket etc

You can always have your landline provider different from your internet connection but sometimes companies like Sky, Vodafone, BT etc run good deals where you get a discount thrown in so your overall package price comes down.....there's always great deals going on with some company. We still have free superfast broadband through Sky from a deal taken a few years, just pay for landline and if they say they are going to charge, we threaten to cancel and they give us free internet again

Cheers

KnK

9/10 you need to get a landline I think Virgin are the only company who do fibre without the landline.

I did manage to haggle with Sky, I told them I really didn't need a landline and managed to haggle unlimited internet for free and just pay the landline £17 something a month.

As someone else has mentioned look on moneysavingexpert they always list offers.

9/10 you need to get a landline I think Virgin are the only company who do fibre without the landline.

I did manage to haggle with Sky, I told them I really didn't need a landline and managed to haggle unlimited internet for free and just pay the landline £17 something a month.

As someone else has mentioned look on moneysavingexpert they always list offers.

You probably would have been better off just having the line line as you pay for it anyway. We have the landline and our unlimited broadband is £5 a month, landlines is £14.95.

You have to have the line because that's what carries the broadband signal. Most ISPs then give you a phone number on the line for free. In the UK the ISPs are required to price the line separately - supposedly so as to promote competition such that you can have the line from one company and the broadband from another but it's rare for that to happen. In Australia they're allowed to just quote one bundled price.

You probably would have been better off just having the line line as you pay for it anyway. We have the landline and our unlimited broadband is £5 a month, landlines is £14.95.

We do have the landline too but I managed to get the unlimited broadband for free. Who is your landline provider because when I looked a couple of months ago everyone was £17 a month. (Unless paid a year in advance)

Edit: Just seen who you provider is above. I have never heard of them so personally wouldn't go with them. (Nothing against you but reviews are low)

We do have the landline too but I managed to get the unlimited broadband for free. Who is your landline provider because when I looked a couple of months ago everyone was £17 a month. (Unless paid a year in advance)

Edit: Just seen who you provider is above. I have never heard of them so personally wouldn't go with them. (Nothing against you but reviews are low)

I'm not with them, we are with BT. Quite a few providers are offering deals less than £17 for landlines and often with free broadband. The one I mentioned above just seems like a really good deal. Don't rely too much on what the say on their websites either, most are able to offer reduced prices.

Archived