Progress at least

Lass81

Hi all just wanted to talk about where we are at and how quickly things can happen..

OH getting made redundant at the end of the month so we thought what the hell lets do it! So all out for a move by the start of June.

Applied for jobs, got family viewing rentals in our area, started selling our belonging were not taking with us. Looking at a car to buy when we get there etc etc. Already got a HSBC bank account open here in Oz so hoping that will help opening one in the UK. Got so much to do and it's getting very scary and stressful but exciting too!! :twitcy:

We were going to wait but, life it too short so we are outa here. Will keep updated on more progress, fingers crossed it goes fairly smoothly..

Also any nurses out there that are returning it took 3 months for me to get re registered with the NMC!

Finding some family members very down on our move back. It's all doom and gloom, why you giving up the wonderful lifestyle etc etc.

We made the mistake of asking one of them to view a rental for us and they were so shocked by the rural location it looks like they've put off the owner for us. Its only five miles from a large village, we have never intended to live near a city or gave that impression. Think they just worried we will hate it and move back. No one can understand what its like unless they have emigrated too. This is stressful to say the least. Oh and gumtree has been entertaining, some people take the pi*=.

Finding some family members very down on our move back. It's all doom and gloom, why you giving up the wonderful lifestyle etc etc.

We made the mistake of asking one of them to view a rental for us and they were so shocked by the rural location it looks like they've put off the owner for us. Its only five miles from a large village, we have never intended to live near a city or gave that impression. Think they just worried we will hate it and move back. No one can understand what its like unless they have emigrated too. This is stressful to say the least. Oh and gumtree has been entertaining, some people take the pi*=.

Oh yes why on earth would anyone leave such an idyllic lifestyle lol. We had a couple in each country who tried to tell us we were mad. The best ones were a couple that had never even been to Australia trying to tell us that surely everything was better in Australia. There is this preconceived idea with some in the UK that Australia really is some sort of paradise.

Oh yes why on earth would anyone leave such an idyllic lifestyle lol. We had a couple in each country who tried to tell us we were mad. The best ones were a couple that had never even been to Australia trying to tell us that surely everything was better in Australia. There is this preconceived idea with some in the UK that Australia really is some sort of paradise.

That's what happens when they think it's all like Home And Away or Neighbours. All my pals back in the UK have never had a wish to live in Australia and my sister-in-law who was born in Sydney but moved back to the UK when she was 7 years old had never shown any real interest in moving back here. She did think about it when she came back for a holiday when my first son was 3 months old (nearly 31 years ago) but after thinking about it she said she would miss her friends and her job too much to make the move. She and her OH have been to visit us half a dozen times and always enjoy their visits but they have a lovely house in Hertford (I really like that town) and both have very good jobs so why would they want to move?

That's what happens when they think it's all like Home And Away or Neighbours. All my pals back in the UK have never had a wish to live in Australia and my sister-in-law who was born in Sydney but moved back to the UK when she was 7 years old had never shown any real interest in moving back here. She did think about it when she came back for a holiday when my first son was 3 months old (nearly 31 years ago) but after thinking about it she said she would miss her friends and her job too much to make the move. She and her OH have been to visit us half a dozen times and always enjoy their visits but they have a lovely house in Hertford (I really like that town) and both have very good jobs so why would they want to move?

I should say that compared to when we first lived in England years ago we rarely get the 'why on earth did you leave' questions. People seem generally much more educated about the rest of the world and the reality of living in Australia rather than the idea of living there.

You will always get that off some. We were lucky that all our family were very supportive, but some acquaintances couldn't understand the reasoning as they think of Oz through what they see on TV and assume we all spend all our time on the beach throwing prawns on the barbie.

What I would say, is do your research on where you are moving back to - some places are genuinely not the best place to move back to and that may include your hometown. Don't assume that it is the best thing to move back to where you lived before. It may very well not be.

Gumtree and things are a pain and we found it of limited use. I actually got a better response with more genuine people by putting up adverts in IGA with pictures of what I was selling - sold the fridge freezer, sofa and hoover that way. Gumtree was good for the car.

I would wait until you get back to go and see properties rather than get people to view them for you. Book some holiday accommodation to see you through the initial move. We booked a great cottage through AirBnB. Getting a rental isn't that hard. We only really had a week to find somewhere as we booked the cottage for 2 weeks, but I started work straight away and my wife didn't arrive till a week after me, so we only had that week and we were looking in some of the places that are the most in demand rental areas of the UK such as Ascot and Windsor and we turned down half a dozen.

You can also always do what we have done. We have taken a place that isn't ideal - great flat in amazing location, but we need a house. But, we asked the agent to put a break lease condition in so we only have to stay 4 months. That gives us long enough to get a real feel and look at places in our time