Urgent Advice please - Pet Passport required with rabies vaccinations?

mandymark

Hi

We have an appointment for our 2 dogs to have their rabies injections this evening but the Receptionist gave me two prices - one for the vaccination and one for the Pet passport which she said includes the rabies jab.

Am I correct in thinking that they don't need a pet passport or is this something that they class as the documentation to prove that the dogs have had their rabies injection etc?

I was going to arrange for the rabies injection this evening then the blood tests in about a month. Could the vet not just document all of this?

Many thanks in advance,

Mandy

Hi

We have an appointment for our 2 dogs to have their rabies injections this evening but the Receptionist gave me two prices - one for the vaccination and one for the Pet passport which she said includes the rabies jab.

Am I correct in thinking that they don't need a pet passport or is this something that they class as the documentation to prove that the dogs have had their rabies injection etc?

I was going to arrange for the rabies injection this evening then the blood tests in about a month. Could the vet not just document all of this?

Many thanks in advance,

Mandy

Hi Ya,

The requirements are very similar....the testing results including rabies that will need to be documented on both the import and export forms are the same ....from a UK perspective you are EXPORTING your pet ( which requires the UK Export Health Certificate ) from the UK AND then are Importing your pet into Australia. This might be where the Uk pet passport option is coming in from your vets receptionist...what has to be done for a UK Pet Passport is the requirements for Uk export and much matches the same requirements for Australian import .

I'd advise you to double check with your vet tonight just for clarity as to exactly what the Pet Passport option does cover and whether there will be additional costs for any additional Australian requirements. Your OV vet will be required to complete all the certification as you go through the process.

BUT yes do get that rabies vaccination under way and then the blood tests.

Am nearly at the end of this process my trio are off to Australia next month. Please also do have a look at the link from dxbox post ...it is an excellent source of information. Hope this helps.

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Thank you all for your quick replies. I couldn't ring the export companies as I have lost my voice today but my OH has just spoken to one who has confirmed that we do not need the pet passport. Will still get the injections done tonight. Thanks again!

Mandy

Thank you all for your quick replies. I couldn't ring the export companies as I have lost my voice today but my OH has just spoken to one who has confirmed that we do not need the pet passport. Will still get the injections done tonight. Thanks again!

Mandy

You must make sure your vet is a government approved vet in the UK has that little red rubber stamp or the Australian side wont accept the vaccinations regardless of if they take or not Have you gone onto the Aussie government website as there is step by step instructions on what needs to be done

I must admit the receptionist at our vets lovely lass that she is finds what we need all to hard and keeps saying Passport then Oh its not is it

You must make sure your vet is a government approved vet in the UK has that little red rubber stamp or the Australian side wont accept the vaccinations regardless of if they take or not Have you gone onto the Aussie government website as there is step by step instructions on what needs to be done

I must admit the receptionist at our vets lovely lass that she is finds what we need all to hard and keeps saying Passport then Oh its not is it

Spot on, Pat. The receptionist at my vet told me my dog would be able to travel 21 days after the rabies jab, which as we all know is ok for Europe but absolutely NOT the case for travel to Australia. So Mandymark MUST speak to the vet, not the receptionist, and the vet must be Government approved for certifying the rabies vaccination/RNATT blood test.

Hoping all went well mandymark and that your vet is an Aprroved vet and as such can do most of the work needed

I have been very lucky with mine there are tow approved vets that are in the surgery I use - just happened they were both on holiday that last time I needed a specific date ! My vet rang the other surgeries in the practise and got me an appointment with another approved vet on the date I needed

I must admit though I prefer to deal with the vet rather than the receptionists as they have a mindset of EU and passports and the Aussie requirements go over their heads