186 visa change employer?

Rick89

Hi i have recently been granted my 186 visa which i great. This was a transition from a 457 visa after 4 years with my current employer (5 months was working holiday visa).

The employer (contracting company) has been great the whole time but now has only 1 project that pays about half of what i have been getting paid for the last 4 years. This leaves me in a tight position finacially as it just about covers my family of fours full outgoings per month with no spare money for emergencies etc.

My partner was due to start a short college course soon and then uni resulting in us having to put one of the kids in full time day care which we now have no allowance for in our budget.

I can quite easily gain employment with other company's which would fix our finacial issue. The only problem is it would mean breaking the (IMMI) agreement to stay with my company for another 2 years. My company may be fine with this im not sure untill i approach them, but there is a chance they may not be happy with it and contact immi if i were to do so.

Before i approach them i would just like some info on what could happen if i were to leave e.g. IMMI's action if my company were to contact them and make their displeasure known?

Has anyone on here been in a similar situation on this visa?

You have a permanent visa and have the freedom of the job market. Your employer cant complain if you want to leave because they half your salary!

Generally there is a need to tread with caution. If say the employer felt that OP always intended to leave after the visa grant and was aggrieved they could complain it was visa fraud to immigration. Visas granted fraudulently can be revoked.

However in this case, there appears to have been no such intention rather conditions have changed to such an extent that the job is no longer viable. I would be pretty comfortable moving employer in the circumstances described, having salary suddenly reduced by 50% is a bit much for anyone to accept.

Archived