Vetasses x Immigration 186 Direct Entry - Cafe Manager

Deh

Hello, I have a question that has been eating me alive for months so here I am to see if any of you can help me!

I've been working as a Cafe Manager since November 2012 and until August 2014 I worked part-time as I were on a Student Visa. On August 2014 I got my 457 Visa and worked for employee A until April 2015, when I transferred my Visa to employee B (where I've been ever since).

I would like to apply for my PR asap, however to go through the 186 Transition Stream I must wait until April 2017. I'm looking into any other option I might have and only one I could find is doing 186 Direct Entry. For that I need to get my skills assessed by VETASSESS and they requirements are:

"Cafe or Restaurant Manager (ANZSCO Code 141111) - This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome."

I do have one year of post-qualification employment, but then as far as I know for 186 Direct Entry Immigration asks for 3 years of relevant experience.

My question is: could I use 1.5 years part-time experience (Nov 2012 to Aug 2014) + 2.5 years full time experience (Aug 2014 to Nov 2016) to do VETASSESS assessment and apply for PR? Will Immi accept this experience as relevant? If they do so I could apply in November this year instead of waiting until April 2017.

Any light will be appreciate. Thank you =)

I would run this past a registered migration agent

I did it already. Actually I've been to two agents and they gave me different information. One told me it's possible and the other said it's not. I might be seeking a third opinion, just thought someone here could shed a light.

Hello, I have a question that has been eating me alive for months so here I am to see if any of you can help me!

I've been working as a Cafe Manager since November 2012 and until August 2014 I worked part-time as I were on a Student Visa. On August 2014 I got my 457 Visa and worked for employee A until April 2015, when I transferred my Visa to employee B (where I've been ever since).

I would like to apply for my PR asap, however to go through the 186 Transition Stream I must wait until April 2017. I'm looking into any other option I might have and only one I could find is doing 186 Direct Entry. For that I need to get my skills assessed by VETASSESS and they requirements are:

"Cafe or Restaurant Manager (ANZSCO Code 141111) - This occupation requires a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If employment is not post-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required.

If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.

A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome."

I do have one year of post-qualification employment, but then as far as I know for 186 Direct Entry Immigration asks for 3 years of relevant experience.

My question is: could I use 1.5 years part-time experience (Nov 2012 to Aug 2014) + 2.5 years full time experience (Aug 2014 to Nov 2016) to do VETASSESS assessment and apply for PR? Will Immi accept this experience as relevant? If they do so I could apply in November this year instead of waiting until April 2017.

Any light will be appreciate. Thank you =)

For Vetassess, 20 hour per week is acceptable for employment experience, however, to meet the criteria for Direct Entry, you must have 3 years of "full time" skilled employment experience in the nominated occupation.

Hi Raul, thank you for your answer. My biggest issue is that one of the agents I spoke with said something similar to the following:

"Employment should be full time. ENS recognises that, in addition to full-time work, there now exists a range of variable employment arrangements. Citizens of numerous countries depend on multiple income earning strategies to make a living. In Australia, part-time work arrangements and variable working hours are increasingly common. This will impact on how work experience is calculated. If work experience is to be expressed in full-time terms, for part-time workers this can be calculated pro-rata. For example, if the requirement is for 3 years of relevant full-time work experience, if part-time work is at 50% of a full-time load, the applicant must be able to demonstrate they have worked in that occupation on a part-time basis for 6 years."

I found above information online after speaking with the agent, and just copied and pasted it here to make it easier to explain why I'm so confused. I could just get the assessment done and apply for the visa to see with my own eyes if works or not, but I can't afford putting so much money into something that I don't even know if there's any possibility of a positive outcome.

Hi Raul, thank you for your answer. My biggest issue is that one of the agents I spoke with said something similar to the following:

"Employment should be full time. ENS recognises that, in addition to full-time work, there now exists a range of variable employment arrangements. Citizens of numerous countries depend on multiple income earning strategies to make a living. In Australia, part-time work arrangements and variable working hours are increasingly common. This will impact on how work experience is calculated. If work experience is to be expressed in full-time terms, for part-time workers this can be calculated pro-rata. For example, if the requirement is for 3 years of relevant full-time work experience, if part-time work is at 50% of a full-time load, the applicant must be able to demonstrate they have worked in that occupation on a part-time basis for 6 years."

I found above information online after speaking with the agent, and just copied and pasted it here to make it easier to explain why I'm so confused. I could just get the assessment done and apply for the visa to see with my own eyes if works or not, but I can't afford putting so much money into something that I don't even know if there's any possibility of a positive outcome.

Getting information you need is not going to happen on a forum. The agents on forums provide general assistance. However, you need to actually appoint and pay the fee for an agent to go through this - they aren't charities and you need professional advice

Getting information you need is not going to happen on a forum. The agents on forums provide general assistance. However, you need to actually appoint and pay the fee for an agent to go through this - they aren't charities and you need professional advice

I've paid two agents so far and I'm more than happy to pay for any information that could help me. The money I was talking about before was fees for both Vetassess and the Visa itself. I'm aware this is not charity and I'm not expecting it to be.

And the information I'm looking for is general: either Immi considers part-time work or they don't. Even though a professional advice would be best anyone that might have gone through this process could shed a light.

The paragraph you have quoted comes from Policy.

You situation is complex and it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer if I had access to all of the relevant details such as qualification certificates, employment references, etc. Based on a few lines in a post, it is impossible to give you specific advice.

Based on what you have posted, you do not meet the requirements of the Regulations for the Direct Entry pathway. Depending on the specifics of your case however, an argument may be made based on Policy guidelines. The outcome however, would then depend on Case officer interpretation and thus difficult to gauge chance of success.

The paragraph you have quoted comes from Policy.

You situation is complex and it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer if I had access to all of the relevant details such as qualification certificates, employment references, etc. Based on a few lines in a post, it is impossible to give you specific advice.

Based on what you have posted, you do not meet the requirements of the Regulations for the Direct Entry pathway. Depending on the specifics of your case however, an argument may be made based on Policy guidelines. The outcome however, would then depend on Case officer interpretation and thus difficult to gauge chance of success.

Thank you Raul, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. It might be impossible on my case but yet it's not an impossible scenario :)

Archived