Calling all Aussie senior leaders in education (and anyone else who can help me!)

TJS

Hi all

Brief background...

I am a self-employed Education Trainer/ Professional Mentor/ Qualified Teacher Status Assessor/ Lead Practitioner in English in the UK at present - my time is split between delivering training courses to secondary teachers and teaching 11-18 year olds in schools. I have sixteen years experience of permanent positions in secondary schools - previous positions include: Secondary English Advisor; Advanced Skills Teacher of English; Head of English department; Head of Drama department; Classroom teacher.

I am in the early stages of securing a 189 visa - my aim is to be in Sydney, living and working in January 2017. I will be applying for Assistant Principal roles both in the independent and state sectors.

Can anyone help me with the following questions please?

- What is the process of applying to state schools - do I have to respond directly to advertisements that I find/ is there an recommended agency I could register with?

- Data/ evidence of effective practice - as I am now self-employed, I do not teach at one school for any length of time. I cannot provide data (exam results) to demonstrate tracking of students progress throughout the year/ end of year exam results (can do this up until 2014 - last permanent post) - would this be an issue when applying for Assistant Principal roles?

If you have any other general advice or help, it would be much appreciated:) I am very excited about making the move to sunny Australia!

Hi Cal

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post - it is much appreciated:)

I found your links to be super helpful indeed. I will keep an eye on all of them now as I begin to look for suitable posts. The 'Teach NSW' app is brilliant! It's on my phone now and provides a quick way to filter/ find jobs in NSW.

Once again, BIG thanks.

With best wishes

TJS

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

Brief background...

I am a self-employed Education Trainer/ Professional Mentor/ Qualified Teacher Status Assessor/ Lead Practitioner in English in the UK at present - my time is split between delivering training courses to secondary teachers and teaching 11-18 year olds in schools. I have sixteen years experience of permanent positions in secondary schools - previous positions include: Secondary English Advisor; Advanced Skills Teacher of English; Head of English department; Head of Drama department; Classroom teacher.

I am in the early stages of securing a 189 visa - my aim is to be in Sydney, living and working in January 2017. I will be applying for Assistant Principal roles both in the independent and state sectors.

Can anyone help me with the following questions please?

- What is the process of applying to state schools - do I have to respond directly to advertisements that I find/ is there an recommended agency I could register with?

- Data/ evidence of effective practice - as I am now self-employed, I do not teach at one school for any length of time. I cannot provide data (exam results) to demonstrate tracking of students progress throughout the year/ end of year exam results (can do this up until 2014 - last permanent post) - would this be an issue when applying for Assistant Principal roles?

If you have any other general advice or help, it would be much appreciated:) I am very excited about making the move to sunny Australia!

Without the relevant Australian experience (and the fact that you have not previously held the role in a school) you will struggle to win a deputy principal position as a fresh teacher to Australia.

Most high schools require their deputies to have a considerable wealth of experience such as as head of department, which whilst you have some experience, it has not been recent or undertaken in Australia.

You are more likely to be able to secure a more senior position as a class teacher with leadership responsibilities.

Edited by Sammy1