Asking for a mate! (Law degree)

benj1980

No honest! I am happily in Australia! Anyway my friend has a UK law degree (LLM) and a Masters in Corporate Governance (I think that's what it's called). He's bit of a free spirit singing in China at the moment and getting by. He realizes he needs to settle down and would like to move to Australia eventually and become a solicitor. He does have some Law and conveyancing experience which is recent. What qualifications/bridging would he have to do? He hasn't done the LPC or BAR in the UK. So he would look to come over on a student visa to get qualified.

Having spoken to him on Skype I said I'd ask wiser heads than my own!

best bet is to contact the legal admission body in the state where he wishes to get admitted first. For NSW, there is the LPAB. Each state has its own way of assessment of overseas law qualifications.

For NSW, if I remember correctly, there is a category for assessment if your friend has finished the academic requirement for admission but has not yet been called to the bar or been admitted as a legal practitioner.

He can do a bit of googling and look for the uniform admission rules for overseas qualified/admitted lawyers.

Personally, I went with NSW because the process for admission is quite straight forward ie standard forms and evidence required, where to study, how many subjects required etc.

A friend of mine was required to take all priestly 11 subjects by Victoria. I, on the other hand, am only required to take 6 by NSW even if we came from the same overseas jurisdiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, in case your friend would be looking for unis, Uni Technology Sydney offers a course for overseas qualified/ admitted students which can be taken by international students. The diploma in law program by the LPAB can not offer student visas.

If your friend would like to go get a PR visa first before seeking admission, that is another story :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys. He knows he will have to work for it to get there. Not sure how he thinks he'll end up with a visa just because he's completed some Australian qualifications but he'll do the research. I'll pass on your info, he is keen on Sydney (no where near me!)

Archived